NUR: Mazovia Print

Alternate names: Nur [Pol, Rus, Yid]. Нур [Rus],נור [ Yid]. 52°40' N, 22°19' E, 37 miles SSE of Łomża, 20 miles ESE of Ostrów Mazowiecka, 19 miles N of Sokołów Podlaski. 1900 Jewish population: 1,212. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, p. 312: "Nur". Nur is a village in Ostrów Mazowiecka powiat, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland and is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Nur, 31 km (19 mi) SE of Ostrów Mazowiecka and 102 km (63 mi) NE of Warsaw with a 2006 population of 760. Gmina Nur contains the villages and settlements of Bochna, Cempora, Godlewo Mierniki, Godlewo Milewek, Godlewo Warsze, Godlewo Wielkie, Kałęczyn, Kamianka, Kossaki, Kramkowo Lipskie, Łęg Nurski, Murawskie Nadbużne, Myślibory, Nur, Nur-Kolonia Wschodnia, Obryte, Ołowskie, Ołtarze Gołacze, Ślepowrony, Strękowo, Strękowo-Nieczykowskie, Zakrzewo Słomy, Zaszków, Zaszków Kolonia, Żebry Kolonia, Żebry-Laskowiec and Zuzela. [June 2009]

Normal 0

Jewish population: 1808-10; 1827-90; 1857-239 (29.1%); 1909-486; and 1921-four. Such a large increase could have been due to a large extent to Jews from the countryside. In 1860, the village had80 houses, 813 inhabitants, and 299 Jews. At the turn of the 19th and early 20th century, many Jews immigrated to America. WWI further reduced the population. Of the wooden synagogue was located on a slope in front of the current municipal building, no trace remains, but the nearby wooden mikvah building remains. After the outbreak of WW II, the German army occupied Nur on September 28, 1939 until the Soviet Union took over. Nur become a transit point for Jewish refugees seeking refuge in the Soviet zone. In July 1940, Russia sent Jews from the nearby Ciechanowca. After Hitler's attack on the Soviet Union, Nur Jews were locked in the ghetto in Ciechanowca and from there to Treblinka. Few survived the Holocaust. [June 2009]

CEMETERY: The 19th century Jewish Cemetery in located in the forest about two km from the town at the junction of ul. Czyżewskiej and the road to Lomza probably was established at the same time as the kahal. No matzevot remain, only a fragment of the old cemetery wall. A single stone probably was part of a gravestone. After the war, locals stole most of the concrete wall and gravestones to build foundations. photos.  [June 2009]

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/9749/nur.html. 52°40' 22°19', 100 km east of Warsaw, 75 km SW of Bialystok, on the right side of the Bug River, between Ciechanowiec and Czyzewo. Alternate name: Danir. [October 2000]

Last Updated on Sunday, 21 June 2009 00:46