You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland NOWY TARG: Małopolskie
NOWY TARG: Małopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Nowy Targ [Pol], Neumarkt am Dohnst [Ger], Nový Targ [Slov], Neimarkt, נובי-טאַרג [Yid], Neumarkt, Novi-Targ, Noymark. 49°29' N, 20°02' E, 42 miles S of Kraków. Jewish population: 773 (in 1890), 1,342 (in 1921). Yizkor: Sefer Nowy Targ ve-ha-seviva. (Tel Aviv, 1979). Normal 0 An independent Jewish community was established in the second half of the 19th century although the first Jewish families arrived in the 17th century to run the inn in Podhale and distill and sell alcohol. In the 19th century in the main city of Podhale in Nowy Targ in 1910, Jews were 15% (1370 people). In 1940 in the city Siegel they were 20% (2,400). Poor Jews lived there, but rich Jews gathered held half of trading, bought the best houses, dominated the professionals, had their own strong self-government, and elected six to eight representatives in the City Council. [June 2009]

Normal 0 CEMETERY  In New Market Street (ul. Nowy Rynek) now, current Pope John Paul II, street, the cemetery established around 1875 was destroyed during WWII with the gravestones used to pave streets near the old market. Even today, approximately forty gravestones remain. Rabbi Hirsch Nowotarski is buried in the eastern part of the cemetery, a man who received both Jews and Christians for advice. This site of mass killings has a sign at the entrance gate with information about the key. The Jewish Community in Krakow is the caretaker of this site. According to the yizkor, the Nazis took the ordinary stones to build an airstrip and shipped the smooth granite and marble gravestonesto Rabka for sidewalks and paving of the plaza in front of the St. Theresa Theological Seminary converted to an SS cadet training school. After the war, survivors' efforts to retrieve these tombstones yielded few that were placed on the mass grave in the forest near the school. Eight mass graves in the Nowy-Targ cemetery were surrounded by a wire fence by the Polish authorities. A small tablet tells the horrors in the cemetery. The post-war Jewish Council was to build a proper monument, bu after its chairman and other Jews were murdered by the Poles, the Jews left. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000752

Nowy Targ in the region of Nowy Sacz at 49º29'N 20º2E, 82km from Krakow and 73km from Nowy Sacz. Cemetery is located at Jana Pawla II Street, Kool 34-400. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Burmistrz (Mayor) Urzad Miastra, Pl. Stowackiego 4, 34-400 Nowy Targ, tel.# 623 12.
  • Regional: Wojewdolski Konserwator Zabytkor-mgr. inr, Zygmunt Leworuk, ul Kilin Skiego 68, 33-300, Nowy Sacr, tel. 238-38 wow 234. (also see: Bobowa).
  • Interested: Specjalny Osrodek Szkolno-Wychowawczy ) Special Education Center) in Nowy Targ. Okrzgowa Spotdzielnia Mlecsarska. (Regional Milk Production Cooperative) in Nowy Targ.

1921 Jewish population was 1,342. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established about 1875. Abroihoim Mosze Kopito was buried here. The isolated urban flat land has a sign or plaque in local language and Hebrew mentioning the Holocaust, the Jewish Community and famous individuals buried there. Reached by turning off of a public road, access is open to all. A continuous masonry wall with non-locking gate surround. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.58 ha in size. 20-100 gravestones, in original locations with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from 1869 or 1875-20th century. The cemetery is not divided into sections. The marble and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed flat stones with carved decorations or double tombstones have Hebrew and Polish inscriptions. The cemetery contains a special memorial monument to Holocaust victims and marked mass graves. Municipality owns site. It is used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery is visited occasionally privately and by organized individual tours. The cemetery has been know to have been vandalized during WWII and not in the last ten years. There has been care taken to re-erect stone, cleared vegetation, fixed wall and repair of the gate. The local/municipal authorities as well as Jewish groups abroad have been responsible for the work. Restoration was done in 1990 The cemetery has a regular caretaker. Security and incompatible nearby development are a slight threat; weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, vandalism are a moderate threat to the cemetery.

The site was visited 8/1992 and survey completed 9/7/92 by Piotr Antoniock, ul Dobroi 5m 36, 05-800 Pruszkow. (see: BOBAWA)

UPDATE: http://www.polishjews.org/cemet/nowytarg.htm has photo. [August 2005]

Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 23:30
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution