[Note: This is not the town that was in Lida uezd, formerly Vilna guberniya, Lithuania and now Grodno region, Belarus.] Alternate names: Nowy Dwór [Pol], Novi Dvor (Bialystoker), נובי דבור [Yid], Novy-Dvur, Новы-Двур [Rus]. 53°38' N, 23°33' E, 38 miles NNE of Białystok, 15 miles N of Sokółka, 12 miles W of Hrodna (Grodno), 2 miles W of the border with Belarus. Yizkor: Bóżnice Białostocczyzny (Białystok, 1992). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, p. 295: "Nowy Dwór" #10.
http://www.boker.org.il/davids/nowydwor/ [October 2000]
US Commission No. POCE000134
Nowy Dwor is located in Bialystok, 53º38 23º33, 90km from Bialystok. The cemetery is located in NE part of town. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 402. Living here were Rabbi Izaak Kamieniecki and Rabbi Chaim Dawiolowicz Oksztein. The Orthodox and Conservative cemetery was established during the 16th century with last known Jewish burial in 1939. Surrounding villages up to 10kms away also used this cemetery. The isolated rural flat land and hillside have no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to al with no wall or gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 1.00 hectares. The cemetery no longer exists. There are no gravestones, structures or mass graves. Municipality owns site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No care.
Tomasz Wisniewski, ul. Bema 95/99, Bialystok, Tel. 212-46 completed survey on 23/09/1991. He visited in 1989. S. Karczewnik at Nowy Dwor 6, Holon, Israel 58395 was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 20:12|