Alternate names: Nowotaniec, Nowotaniec Bieszczadzki; ד בנוביטַניץ' Novitanitz [Yid], Lebetanz [Ger]. 49°31' N 22°02' E, 194.0 miles SSE of Warszawa. Nowotaniec is a village in SE Poland with a 2002 population of 430 in the Bukowsko Upland mountains, Subcarpathian Voivodeship (since 1999) and previously in Krosno Voivodeship (1975-1998) and Sanok district, Bukowsko subdistrict,near the towns of Medzilaborce and Palota (in NE Slovakia). The first Jewish families appeared in Nowotaniec early in the 18th century. In 1765, 74 Jews lived in the village and were subordinate to the Rymanów kahal although independence was given before 1777. 10-12 jewish families were in village in four houses. In 1824, the kahal had 84 members. In 1870, 249 Jews lived in a community thatowned a synagogue and school with 22 pupils. In 1885, Yeshi Michal Gilernter, born in 1842 was appointed rabbi. In 1900, the Jewish community had 287 persons but no rabbi. In year 1921, 42 Jews remained. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000729
Nowotaniec is located in voivodship of Krosno at 49º33N 22º03E, about 48 km from Krosno. The cemetery is located 1.5 km westward of the village center. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 42. The isolated rural flat land has no sign or marker. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all. No gravestones are visible. No known mass graves or structures are within its limits. The unknown present owner uses site for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized prior to W.W.II. No maintenance. Vegetation is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water erosion is a moderate threat.
Piotr Antoniak, ul. Dobra 5m36, 05-800 Praszkol visited site Aug. 8, 1992 and completed survey on Sept. 11, 1992.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 19:46|