|NOWE MIASTO: Mazovia|
Alternate names: Nowe Miasto [Pol], Ir Chadash [Heb], Neishtat, נובה מיאסטו [Yid], Nove-Myasto, Нове-Място [Rus], Novi Miasto, Neustadt. 52°39' N, 20°38' E, 7 towns are named 'Nowe Miasto' in Poland. This one is 11 miles E of Płońsk and included in the Płońsk yizkor book: Sefer Plonsk ve-ha-seviva, (Tel Aviv, 1963). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 224-226: "Nowe Miasto" #2 . Gmina Nowe Miasto is a rural administrative district in Płońsk powiat, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland with its seat is the village of Nowe Miasto, 17 km (10 mi) NE of Płońsk and 54 km (33 mi) NW of Warsaw with a 2006 total population is 4,760 and 2,000 in the village. Normal 0 Jews have lived in Nowe Miasto in the 16th century. Substantial development took place in the 19th century due to the Jews occupied with most petty trade and crafts. From 513 in 1808 to 1015 in 1860 with a synagogue, hospital, and cheder, the Jewish population peaked at 1,667. Chasidic influence of a powerful dynasty tzaddikim of Góry Kalwaria. In the early 20th century immigration to Palestine was strong. In the general census of 1921 Jewish population: 780. The Nazis occupied the city on September 5,1939. Some Jewish residents were transported Warsaw ghetto and the camp in Radzymin On November 1, 1941, in the area of ul. Senatorskiej and Kościelnej Market, a ghetto was set up including about 1,750 Jews displaced from the Ciechanow and Drobina. High density and horrid sanitation resulted in lethal typhus. A failed armed uprising in the ghetto was attempted. The ghetto was liquidated on November 18, 1942 with its inhabitants were deported to Płońska. Few survived. [June 2009]CEMETERY: Located just behind the town from Nasielsk, cross the bridge over the Sonia and turn left about 200 - 300 meters to a group of trees and bushes on the left. In an area of about ten ares, individual gravestones with Hebrew inscriptions are visible. No sandstone matzevot remain, probably stolen for building material. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000367
Nowe Miasto is located in Ciechanow at 52º39 20º38, 19km from Plonsk. The cemetery is located on left side of road from Nowe Miasto to Wolka in the "folwark" settlement. Present population is less than 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community existed after 1775. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 780. The Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Jewish burial 1942. The isolated rural (agricultural) on flat land has a sign in Polish that states that the site is a Jewish cemetery. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with no wall or fence. The approximate size of before WWII was 1.00 hectares; it is now 0.60 hectares. Fewer than 20 gravestones remain in the cemetery with less than 25% broken or toppled. The tombstones date from 1840-20th centuries. The granite and sandstone rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, or flat stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew and Yiddish inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. There are no structures. A regional or national governmental agency owns property used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No care. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access.
Wojcieck Henrykowski, ul. Spoldzielcza 20, 06-200 Makow Mazowiecki completed survey on 02/10/1991. Documentation: collection of Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow w Ciechanowie, nr 164/86 Ziemia Materialy do Ziemi Plodiej, Plock 1985. He visited site on 2 September 1991 and interviewed Nowe Miasto communal office employees.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 12:42|