NOWE MIASTO NAD PILICA: Masovia Print

Coat of arms of Nowe Miasto nad PilicąAlternate names: Nowe Miasto nad Pilicą [Pol], Neishtat oif der Pilitza [Yid], Nowe Miasto, Novi Miasto, Нове-Място-над-Пилицей [Rus]. 51°38' N, 20°35' E, 46 miles SSW of Warszawa, 30 miles SE of Skierniewice, 29 miles WNW of Radom. 1900 Jewish population: 1,711. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 222-224: "Nowe Miasto" #1. This town in Gmina Nowe Miasto, Grójec powiat, Masovian Voivodeship with 3,885 inhabitants in 2004 has a former military airfield ust to the west of town. Apart from the town of Nowe Miasto nad Pilicą, Gmina Nowe Miasto nad Pilicą contains the villages and settlements of Bełek, Bieliny, Borowina, Dąbrowa, Domaniewice, Gilówka, Godzimierz, Gostomia, Jankowice, Józefów, Łęgonice, Nowe Bieliny, Nowe Łęgonice, Nowe Strzałki, Pobiedna, Promnik, Prosna, Rokitnica, Rosocha, Rudki, Sacin, Sańbórz, Strzałki, Świdrygały, Wał, Waliska, Wierzchy, Wola Pobiedzińska, Wólka Ligęzowska, Wólka Magierowa, Zalesie, Żdżarki and Żdżary. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000082

Alternate Yiddish name: Novi Miasto, Neishtat. Nowe Miasto Nad Pilica is located in the Radomskie region at 51º37 N 20º37E, about 81 km from Warszawa. The cemetery is located at 11 Listopada Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Burmistrz Miasta, 26-420 Nowe Miasto n. Pilica, Pl.wolno-zci4 (?), tel. 266.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabythow, 26-600 Radom, ul. Moniuszki 5a (?), tel. 2-13-16.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1754. 1921 Jewish population was 780, 39.6%. The Conservative Jewish cemetery was established prior to 1754. The last known Jewish burial was in 1942. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The present size of the cemetery is 0.5 hectares. No tombstones are visible. No known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for waste dumping. Properties adjacent are commercial. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a smaller area, reduced by commercial development. Private Jewish visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II. No care or structures. Very serious threats: vandalism and incompatible nearby developments (existing, planned, and proposed). Serious security, water erosion, pollution, and vegetation threats face the cemetery.

Dr. Adam Penkalla, deceased, visited on July 3 and completed survey on July 10, 1991. Documentation: possession of Adam Penkalla.

Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 13:06