You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland NOWA SLUPIA: Świętokrzyskie
NOWA SLUPIA: Świętokrzyskie PDF Print E-mail

[Nowa S³upia coat of arms]Alternate names: Nowa Słupia [Pol], Słupia Nowa, Slupia, Slifia Chadash, סלופיה נובה [Heb]. Нова-Слупя [Rus]. 50°52' N, 21°06' E, 19 miles E of Kielce, 14 miles WSW of Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski. 1900 Jewish population: 1,038. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), X, pp. 854-855: "Słupia" #5. Gmina Nowa Słupia is a rural administrative district in Kielce County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship,in south-central Poland with its seat in the village of Nowa Słupia, 34 km (21 mi) E of the regional capital Kielce. The 2006 gmina total population is 9,691. The gmina contains part of the protected area called Jeleniowska Landscape Park. Gmina Nowa Słupia contains the villages and settlements of Bartoszowiny, Baszowice, Cząstków, Dębniak, Dębno, Hucisko, Jeleniów, Jeziorko, Mirocice, Nowa Słupia, Paprocice, Pokrzywianka, Rudki, Serwis, Skały, Sosnówka, Stara Słupia, Trzcianka, Włochy and Wólka Milanowska. What Happened to the Jews of Nowa Slupia. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000301

Nowa Slupia is located in Kielce region at 50º50 N 21º.00E, about 35 km from Kielce. The cemetery is located on Kielecka Street. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Wojt Gminy Nowa Slupia, 26-006 Nowa Slupia, tel. 13.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Kenjevwatow Zabythow, ul. IX Wiehow Kielc 3, Kielce, tel. 45634.

The earliest known Jewish community was in 1860 (or 1877). 1921 Jewish population was 306 (10%). The Orthodox and Conservative Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Jewish burial in 1942. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. No wall, gate, or fence surround. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery is now approximately 0.5. No gravestones are visible. The cemetery contains no special memorial monuments or known mass graves. The municipality currently owns the cemetery property used only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Private Jewish visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance. There are no structures. Slight threats only.

Dr. Adam Penkalla, deceased, visited site and completed survey and may have information about the cemetery. Documentation: personal Penkalla papers.

Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 11:59
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution