Alternate names: Nisko [Pol], Nisk, ניסקו [Yid], Ниско [Rus]. 50°32' N, 22°09' E, 34 miles N of Rzeszów. Jewish population: 273 (in 1880), 409 (in 1921). This town in southeastern Poland on the San River with a population of 15,534 in 2008 forms a small agglomeration with neighboring city Stalowa Wola. Nisko Plan. [June 2009]
ShtetLink [November 2002]
US Commission No. POCE000239
Nisko is located in Tarnobrzeg, 50º31 22º08, 40km from Tarnobrzeg. The cemetery is located on the edge of a young forest, W of the road Lublin-Rzeszow, between railway station and the suburb, Warcholy. Present population is 5,000-25,000, with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population (census) was 499. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in second half of nineteenth century. The isolated suburban flat land is open to all, reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign or marker, no wall or gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 1.00 hectares. The cemetery was vandalized in WWII and since is totally destroyed. There are no stones or structures. The municipality owns the cemetery property, used for recreational and industrial purposes. Properties adjacent are residential and agricultural. A young pine forest now stands on the site. There is also contains an illegal sandpit that destroyed the central part of the cemetery. If any graves are still preserved under the surface, they are threatened by the further exploitation of sand and a future housing development.
Marek Florek, ul. Chopina 12/2, 37-420 Rudnik n/Ganem, ph: 26 completed survey on 13/11/1991. Documentation: Karta ewidencji cmentarza. No other documentation is known to exist. He visited the site on 13/11/1991.
|Last Updated on Friday, 19 June 2009 20:47|