Alternate names: Niemirów [Pol], Nemiruv, Немирув [Rus], Nemirova, נימירוב [Yid], Niemirowo. 52°18' N, 23°09' E, 4 localities in Poland named 'Niemirów'. This one is on the Bug River, on the border with Belarus, 30 miles S of Bielsk Podlaski, 15 miles SE of Siemiatycze. Jewish population: 157 (in 1897), 149 (in 1921). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 90-91: "Niemirów". This village in the administrative district of Gmina Mielnik in Siemiatycze powiat, Podlaskie Voivodeship in NE Poland close to the border with Belarus. The village 2008 population was 240. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000141
Alternate name: "Wolczynka". Niemirow is located in Bialystok at 52º18 23º09, 100km from Bialystok. The cemetery is located in E part of town, near road. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was in 1708. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 149. Rabbi Szmuel Rabinowicz lived here. The Orthodox and Conservative cemetery was established during the 19th century with last known Jewish burial 1939. The isolated forested rural area on a hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, gate or fence. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.50 hectares. The cemetery has been completely destroyed. There are no gravestones. Municipality owns site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The boundaries were smaller than in 1939 because of agriculture and reforestation. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There has been no maintenance, restoration, or care.
Tomasz Wisniewski, ul. Bema 95/99, Bialystok, Tel. 212-46 completed survey on 22/09/1991. He visited the site in 1988.
|Last Updated on Friday, 19 June 2009 14:39|