Alternate names: Niebylec [Pol], Nebelitz, נייבילץ [Yid]. 49°52' N, 21°54' E, 13 miles S of Rzeszów, 4 miles E of Strzyżów (Strizev). 1900 Jewish population: 343. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 42-43: "Niebylec". Gmina Niebylec is a rural administrative district in Strzyżów powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in SE Poland with its seat is the village of Niebylec, 10 km (6 mi) SE of Strzyżów and 22 km (14 mi) S of the regional capital Rzeszów. The 2006 total population is 10,606. Gmina Niebylec contains the villages and settlements of Baryczka, Blizianka, Gwoździanka, Gwoźnica Dolna, Gwoźnica Górna, Jawornik, Konieczkowa, Lutcza, Małówka, Niebylec and Połomia. (ShtetLink) Normal 0 In 1676 lived here four Jewish families lived here, but the settlement date of the first Jews is unknown. Initially subject to Niebylca kahal in the nearby Strzyżow, over time they established their own. Jewish population: 1785-48; about 1800-580 (50%); 1921-283. The town was very poor with difficult living conditions at the beginning of the 20th century as many immigrated. During WW II, the village ghetto imprisoned about 450 Jews from nearby settlements and the town with liquidation in April 1942 sending the inhabitants to Rzeszow and later to death camps. The most interesting small synagogue in Niebylcu Podkarpackie during WWII was used as a fertilizer warehouse. Cooperatives renovated the building for the library in the 1970s with restored interior polychrome images of animals and fish/whale from the beginning of the 20th century and a quotation from the Book of Psalms and an image of in the Temple in Jerusalem on the western wall and an aron-kodesh with two stone lions holding the Ten Commandments tablets. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: Located on a hill north of the village, during WW II, the cemetery was destroyed with gravestones used for construction. MASS GRAVE: Nazis executed local Jews. No trace of the wall remain. Among the trees are two gravestones. Photos. video, filmed in the synagogue building. [June 2009]
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 77
US Commission No. POCE000500
Alternate name: Nebilitz in Yiddish. Niebylec is located in Rzeszow province, 49º52' at 21º54', 40 km form Rzeszow. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was the 18th century. 1939 Jewish population was 200. The synagogue was built in the 18th century. The cemetery, 1 km from the community, was established in the 18th-19th century with last burial during WWII. The isolated rural hillside has no sign or marker, no wall, fence, or gate. Reached by crossing other public property, access is open to all. The cemetery was 1000 m before WWII and does not exist now. No gravestones are visible. Removed stones were incorporated into roads or structures in Niebylec. The municipality owns site used for industrial or commercial use. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery is a smaller area due to commercial or industrial development. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. There is no maintenance, no care, no structures, no known mass graves.
Natascha Rode, 5/29 Stanynskiego St, Rzeszow 35-213 completed survey in June 1992 after a visit. Mrs. Stosikowe, Niebylec 100 was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Friday, 19 June 2009 14:18|