Alternate names: Nasielsk [Pol], Nashelsk, נאשיילסק [Yid], Nasel'sk, Насельск [Rus], Nasielska Wola, Nasyelsk. 52°35' N, 20°48' E, 25 miles NNW of Warszawa, 16 miles SW of Pułtusk. 1900 Jewish population: 3,030. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VI, pp. 924-925: "Nasielsk". This small town in Masovian Voivodeship as a junction on a major Warsaw-Gdansk rail line connects also to Sierpc. The Nasielsk Synagogue was one of Poland's architecturally notable buildings. Gmina Nasielsk is an urban-rural administrative district in Nowy Dwór, Mazowiecki powiat, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland with a 2006 total population of 19,259 (population of Nasielsk was 7,364). News story and photo: The cemetery was desecrated by the Nazis, but in the early 1950s, the synagogue and Catholic Church were destroyed by the Communist government. Only a forest on the edge of town is left of the cemetery with no visible gravestones. [June 2009]
KehilaLink [Mar 2013]
This cemetery now has a sign in Polish designating the field as the " Jewish Community Cemetery" with a notation that the sign was financed from Local Activities Budget presumably from the City of Nasielsk. Source: Richard Shanbaum. [February 2011]
Article in Canadian Jewish News, May 26, 1983, page 10. A vegetable garden was planted on the site of the cemetery destroyed by the Nazis. Source: Richard Shanbaum. [February 2011]
US Commission Report No. POCE000372
Nasielsk is located in Ciechanow at 52º35 20º48, 25km from Pultusk. The cemetery is located at Kwiatowa St. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community existed in 1765. 1931 Jewish population (census) was 2923. The Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Jewish burial 1940. Between fields and woods, the isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 1.94 hectares. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains no mass graves, no structures. The municipality currently owns the cemetery used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No care.
Wojcieck Henrykowski, ul. Spoldzielcza 20, 06-200 Makow Mazowiecki completed survey on 02/10/1991. Documentation: Ziema Ciechanowska--Materialy Do Dziejow Ziemi Plosckiej. Towarzystwo Naukowe Plockie 1985. He visited site on 2/10/91. Interviewed were the employees of the communal office in Nasielsk.
Photos courtesy Richard Shanbaum
[UPDATE] Nasielsk Cemetery Clearing with The Matzevah Foundation [July 2016]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 07 July 2016 22:55|