You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland NAROL: Podkarpackie
NAROL: Podkarpackie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Narol

Alternate names: Narol [Pol], Naril [Rus], Narol Lipsko. 50°21' N, 23°19' E, 47 miles NW of L'viv (Lvov). Jewish population: 779 (in 1880). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VI, pp. 914-916: "Narol" #1. This town in Lubaczów powiat in Podkarpacie Voivodeship had a 2008 population of 2,109 inhabitants. Residing here were  Moses Kohn, Polish Jewish physician; Tobias Cohn (Polish: Tobiasz Kohn, Toviyyah ben Moshe ha-Kohen ) (1652-1729), a Polish-Jewish physician born at Metz and the;Narol dynasty and Shapira rabbinic family. Gmina Narol is an urban-rural administrative district in south-eastern Poland with its seat is the town of Narol, 26 km (16 mi) NE of Lubaczów and 101 km (63 mi) E of the regional capital Rzeszów. Apart from the town of Narol, Gmina Narol contains the villages and settlements of Bieniaszówka, Chlewiska, Dębiny, Huta Różaniecka, Huta-Złomy, Jędrzejówka, Kadłubiska, Lipie, Lipsko, Łówcza, Łukawica, Narol-Wieś, Piła, Płazów, Podlesina, Ruda Różaniecka, Wola Wielka and Złomy Ruskie. Normal 0 The first documentation of Jews in Narol comes from 1616 when a house of prayer and the Jewish cemetery existed. When the local synagogue was constructed, Chmielnicki Kozacy murdered hundreds of Jews. In 1924, 734 Jews accounted for 40% of all residents. Michael Traisin of the US arranged for a decorative sign made by a local craftsman. [June 2008]

CEMETERY: Located on a small hill in the northern part of town coming from Belzec, turn right at the post. No gravestones remain because the Nazis stole them for road construction. Michael Traisin of the US arranged for a sign made by a local craftsman. photos. [June 2008]

US Commission No. POCE000155

Narol is located in Przemysl region at 50º21' 23º20', 81 km from Przemysl and 50 km from Zamosc. Present population is 1,00-5,000, no Jews.

  • Town: Urzas Gminy, Rynek St, tel. 30.
  • Regional: region Konserwator Zabytkow, mgr. Pawel Koziot, 24 Rynek St, Przemysl 37-700, tel. 5344.      The earliest known Jewish community was before 1648. 1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 734. The isolated rural crown of a hill has no sign or marker, no wall, fence, or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. Before WWII and now the cemetery was.75 ha. There are no visible gravestones or known mass graves. The municipality owns the unused property. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during

Jan Powet Woyonczak, 21/1 Sandomieska St, Warsaw 02-567, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on January 17, 1992 using documentation from the Monuments Preservation Office in Przemysl. The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Friday, 19 June 2009 12:42
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution