MRAGOWO: Warmińsko-Mazurskie Print

Coat of arms of MrągowoAlternate names: Sensburg [Ger], Mrągowo, Żądźbork [Pol]; Senpilė [Lith]) 53°52' N 21°18' E, 112.3 miles N of Warszawa. Mragowo is a town in NE Poland and the seat of Mrągowo powiat in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship on the shores of Lake Czas. The Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland has assumed honorary patronage of the Prof. Abraham J. Heschel Competition "Tolerance and Civil Society. The Role of Jews in the Culture and History of Mrągowo". The competition, organized within the framework of the project "In the Footsteps of the Mrągowo Jewish Cemetery and the Jewish Inhabitants of Mrągowo" is an initiative of the Ecological and Cultural Education Society, a local NGO. The competition will be open until 30 June 2009. website. In Mrągowo, young historian Mariusz Lupkowski with a group embarked on a project to commemorate the site of a former Jewish cemetery that was destroyed by the Nazis. [June 2009]

US Commission No. AS 212
(Alternate name: Sensburg in German) Mragowo is located in Olsztynskie at 53º52 21º18, 63 km from Olsztyn. Cemetery location: ul. Btzozowa, behind the Roman Catholic cemetery. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 without Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta, ul. Krolewiecka 60a, 11-700 Mragowo, tel. 25-13.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojewodzki w Olsztynie, Wychial Gospodarki Terenosej, ul. Pilsudsluego 7/9, 10-959 Olsztyn, tel. 232-276. Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow oddrial w Olsztynie, ul. Podwale 1, 10-076 Olsztyn, tel. 27-21-36.
  • Others: mgr inz Elzbieta Szyguta-Zielinska 10-435, Olsztyn, ul Switezianki 6/3, tel. 33-29-22. Urzad Wojewodzki, Wydz. Goso. Terenosej, tel. 929-976.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1839 (78 Jews). 1933 Jewish population was 125. The Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established 1st half of 19th century with last burial late 1930's. The suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all without wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.06 hectares. There are no gravestones or mass graves. [sic: The form contradicts by saying no stones visible in one place and the next question states that there are 20 to 100 gravestones in original location, regardless of condition.] The municipality owns property used for parking. Properties adjacent is commercial/industrial, residential, park, and cemeteries. The cemetery is rarely visited. There are no structures. Incompatible development is the only moderate threat.

Wiktor Knercer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33 m 16, tel. 33-86-07 visited site in Oct. and completed survey Nov 1991. Documentation: Frederichs Deutsches Stadtebuch... Stuttgast 1939. Statistisches Handbuck Fur die Provinz OstpreuBen 1939. Knercer may have more information.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 19:51