MORAG: Warmińsko-Mazurskie Print

Coat of arms of Morąg Alternate names: Morąg [Pol], Mohrungen [Ger], Maurungėnai [Lith]. 53°55' N 19°56' E, 123.3 miles NNW of Warszawa. Morąg is a town in northern Poland in Ostróda County in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, 44 km SE of Olsztyn. Normal 0 CEMETERY: Established in 1835 at the current ulica Żeromskiego, presumably the cemetery was destroyed by the Nazis combined with post-war neglect. Even in the mid-1950s, the cemetery was well maintained with many tombstones. Today, only a few damaged concrete matzevot remain. A local teacher, Krzysztof Piotrowski, together with his students at the end of the 1990s began to maintain the cemetery. In 2002, a pillar of the old gates to the cemetery received a plaque saying "three times the cemetery died: death, split tombstones, erasing. Jewish Cemetery in Morągu from 1835 - 1933. [June 2009]

US Commission No. AS 158

(Mokrungen in German) Morag is located in Olsztynskie at 53º55 19º56, 50 km from Olsztyn. Cemetery location: by the road to the village Laczna. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 without Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta i Gminy, ul. Wyzwoknia 9, 14-300.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojewodzki w Olsztynie, Wydzial Gospodarki Terenowej, ul. Pilsudskiego 7/9, 10-959 Olsztyn, tel. 232-276. Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow oddzial w Olsztynie, ul. Polwak 1, 10-076 Olsztyn, tel. 27-21-36.
  • Others: mgr inz Elzbieta Szygula Zielinska, ul. Switezianki 6/3, tel. 33-29-22. Urzad Wojewodzki Wydzial Gosp. Terenowej, tel. 232-246. Also se Wiktor Knercer at end.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1849 (122 Jews). 1937 Jewish population was 8. The Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established the 1st half of 19th century with last burial was late 1930's. Lanmarked: Register of Monuments in Olsztyn. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. There is a partly destroyed masonry wall but no gate (destroyed). The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.22 hectare. 20-100 gravestones in the cemetery, all in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1850-20th century. The marble and sandstone flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No mass graves. The municipality owns property used as Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, local residents stop. No maintenance, care, or structures. Vandalism is a moderate threat.

Wiktor Knercer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33 m 16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey Oct 1991. Documentation: Frederichs Deutsches Slaedtebush... Stuttgart 1939. Statistisches Jlundbuch fur die Provinz Ovlpreussen, 1938. He visited Sept 1991 with no interviews.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 18:18