Alternate names: Mogilno [Pol, Ger]. 52°40' N, 17°58' E, 45 miles ENE of Poznań (Posen), 35 miles S of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg), 17 miles NE of Gniezno. Jewish population: 200 (in 1881). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VI, pp. 583-585: "Mogilno". This town in central Poland in powiat mogileński, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship (since 1999) and previously in Bydgoszcz Voivodeship (1975-1998). During the German occupation in 1939, German forces incited the German minority and killed 39 Poles and one Jew in the town. The victims were picked out by local Germans for execution. The oldest victim was 75, the youngest 17. On July 6, 2006, an unveiling of a plaque commemorating the Jewish community of Mogilno, and, in particular, victims murdered by the Nazis in September 1939, took place. Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland coordinated the commemoration project with a plaque was funded by Adam Brzuszkiewicz. The ceremony was attended by a representative of the Israeli Embassy, the Mayor and the Starosta of the Mogilno district, Catholic clergy, representatives of the Foundation, a large group of guests from Israel, and Mogilno citizens. On the plaque in Polish and in English is "On this site, a synagogue was located from 1904 to 1939. On September 18, 1939, the synagogue was blown up by the Nazis, brutally killing sixteen Jewish citizens of Mogilno, including six children ages between three and eight years old. Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland" [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000601
Mogilno is located in Bydgoszcz at 17.57 º52.39, 58 km from Bydgoszcz. The cemetery is located at ul. Mickiewicza. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community existed in Mogilno in the first half of the 19th century. As of 1888 (last census before World War II), 199 Jews lived in Mogilno. The cemetery was established in the 19th century. The isolated urban area crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, gate, or fence. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.2 hectares. No gravestones are visible. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The privately owned property is owned privately is residential. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, and has had no maintenance. Existing incompatible nearby development is a serious threat: many buildings and garages.
Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszczph, Tel. 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992. The card of cemetery 1992 WKZ Bydgoszcz was documentation. She visited in 10/1992.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 17:23|