You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland MODLIBORZYCE: Lubelskie
MODLIBORZYCE: Lubelskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Gmina Modliborzyce

50°47' N 21°18' E, 102.1 miles S of Warszawa. Gmina Modliborzyce is a rural administrative district in Janów Lubelski powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland with its seat in the village of Modliborzyce, 8 km (5 mi) NW of Janów Lubelski and 58 km (36 mi) S of the regional capital Lublin. The gmina total population is 7,239 and contains the villages and settlements of Antolin, Bilsko, Brzeziny, Ciechocin, Dąbie, Felinów, Gwizdów, Kalenne, Kolonia Zamek, Lute, Majdan, Michałówka, Modliborzyce, Pasieka, Słupie, Stojeszyn Drugi, Stojeszyn Pierwszy, Stojeszyn-Kolonia, Świnki, Węgliska, Wierzchowiska Drugie, Wierzchowiska Pierwsze, Wolica Druga, Wolica Pierwsza and Zarajec. [June 2009]

CEMETERY: The 0.98 ha Jewish cemetery is located in southern part of the town by the road to Majdan. Not even fragments of matzevot remain. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000240

Modliborzyce is located in Tarnobrzeg at 50º47 21º18, 22 km from Krasnik. The cemetery is located at the S outskirts of town by the local road to Majdan. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy Modliborzyce, ul. Partyzantow, tel. 79, 83.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, (Mgr. Dominik Komada), ul. Pilsudskiego 40, tel. 22-81-61 and Dyrektor Wydzialu Spraw Spotecznych Urzedu Wojewodzkiego, (Edward Kuracinski), ul. Kosciuszki 32, tel. 22-19- 99.

The earliest known Jewish community was established sometime prior to 1760. 1921Jewish population (census) was 857. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in mid-18th century with last known Orthodox burial 1942. The isolated, agricultural flat land is open to all. Reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign, wall or gate, the size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.95 hectares. The boundaries encompass the same area. Except for fragments of one gravestone, visible in 1988, there are no gravestones, known mass graves, or structures. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII, and presently neglected. Security, vegetation, and vandalism now pose only slight threats. The municipality currently owns the property used for agriculture.

Marek Florek, ul. Chopina 12/2, 37-420 Rudnik n/Ganem, ph: 26 completed survey on 4/11/1991. Documentation: Karta ewidencji cimentarza (documentation card); Jeizy Kowlczak-Boznica w Modlibolzycach-dokumentacja konserwatorska, Warsaw 1956 (maszynopis). Marek Florek visited the site on 03/11/1991.

BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 77

Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 15:48
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution