You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland MIROSLAWIEC: Zachodnio-Pomorskie
MIROSLAWIEC: Zachodnio-Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Mirosławiec

Alternate names: Mirosławiec [Pol], Märkisch Friedland [Ger], Maerkisch-Friedland, Mirosławice, Frydląd Marchijski, Frydląd. 53°20' N, 16°06' E, 80 miles W of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg), 63 miles E of Szczecin (Stettin), 30 miles WNW of Piła (Schneidemühl). Jewish population: 303 (in 1880), 70 (in 1933). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), II, pp. 418-419: "Frydląd Marchijski" #1. This town in Wałcz County, West Pomeranian Voivodeship with 4,837 inhabitants in 2007. Gmina Mirosławiec is an urban-rural administrative district in NW Poland with its seat in the town of Mirosławiec, 27 km (17 mi) W of Wałcz and 101 km (63 mi) E of the regional capital Szczecin. Aside from the town of Mirosławiec, Gmina Mirosławiec contains the villages and settlements of Bronikowo, Drzewoszewo, Gniewosz, Hanki, Hanki-Kolonia, Jabłonkowo, Jabłonowo, Jadwiżyn, Kalinówka, Kierpnik, Kolonia Chojnice, Kolonia Polne, Kolonia Zacisze, Łowicz Wałecki, Mirosławiec Górny, Nieradź, Piecnik, Pilów, Próchnowo, Sadowo, Setnica and Toporzyk. Normal 0 Mirosław Jews began settling in the 16th century as a result of persecution in Brandenburg, where they were thrown out from 1510 to 1573.  In 1757, Jews have obtained the residency privilege issued by the city from Baron Wilhelm von Blankenburg. King Augustus III confirmed this in 1758. The local Jewish community peak population reached 1,400 people in 247 families. In 1770, the mill at the gateway of the synagogue was erected. They maintained a school. In 1791-1815, the kahał's head was Rabbi Akiba Eiger, later rabbi in Poznan. The Jewish Community in Mirosławcu was viewed as the "matrix" with the Jewish Community of Berlin. Under the Nazis, local Jews fell victim to "Kristallnacht" in 1938 and were forced to sell their property and leave the city. In January 1939, those remaining were sent to Sachsenhausen. [June 2009]

CEMETERY: Mirosław's  Jewish Cemetery established in the 17th century is one of the oldest in Pomerania. Located directly by the Catholic cemetery, the cemetery recently has been cleaned and bushes and some trees cut. The number of the vodka bottle indicates that for part of the neighborhood this is a place of entertainment. Additionally, people visiting the Catholic cemetery, dispose of withered flowers in the Jewish cemetery. According to the Jewish Historical Institute, the cemetery had about 200 gravestones in 1992 in varying condition. The oldest dates from 1752. In 1983, the cemetery was landmarked. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000409

(Alternate name: Markisch Friedland in German) Miroslawiec is in Pila at 53º21 16º05, 25 km from Wakcz. Cemetery location: NW part of town. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 without Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta w Miroslawcu.
  • Regional: mgr. Roman Chwaliszewski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow w Pile, 64-920 Pila, ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88. Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow Oddzial w Pile, mgr Barbara Luczynska.
  • Other: Urzad Miasta i Gminy w Miroslawcu, mgr M. Fijalkowski, Muzeum Okzegowe, 04-920 Pila, ul. Chopina 1, tel. 271-37.

The earliest Jewish community in town was late 16th century. In the first half of 19th century, the yeshiva existed. The Progressive/Reform Jews Jewish cemetery was established in the 17th century and enlarged in early 19th century. Landmark: (A-497) 16 Dec 1983. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a broken masonry wall without gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 2.22 hectares. 20-100 gravestones, 1-20 not in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1865-20th century. The granite and sandstone rough stones or boulders, flat stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions and German. The municipality owns property used as Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and communal cemetery. Local residents and private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. Local authorities cleared vegetation in 1989. There is no care. There are no structures. Security, erosion, vegetation, and vandalism are serious threats.

Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 visited site and completed survey in Aug., 1991. No interviews. Documentation: "Karta Cmentarza".

Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 14:04
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution