Alternate names: Michów [Pol], Michov, מיכוב [Yid], Mikhuv, Михув [Rus], Michów Lubartowski, Michów Lubelski, Mikhov. 51°31' N, 22°18' E, 22 miles NNW of Lublin, 15 miles WNW of Lubartów. Yizkor: Michow (Lubelski); sefer zikaron le-kedoshei Michow she-nispu be-shoat ha-natsim ba-shanim 1939-1942, (Israel, 1987). Gmina Michów is a rural administrative district in Lubartów powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland with its seat in the village of Michów, 21 km (13 mi) W of Lubartów and 36 km (22 mi) NW of the regional capital Lublin. The 2006 total gmina population is 6,417. Gmina Michów contains the villages and settlements of Aleksandrówka, Anielówka, Budki, Chudowola, Elżbietów, Gawłówka, Giżyce, Gołąb, Gołąb-Kolonia, Katarzyn, Kolonia Giżyce, Krupy, Kruszyna, Lipniak, Mejznerzyn, Meszno, Miastkówek, Michów, Młyniska, Natalin, Ostrów, Podlodówek, Rawa, Rudno, Rudzienko, Rudzienko-Kolonia, Trzciniec, Węgielce, Wólka Michowska, Wypnicha and Zofianówka. The first mention of this village is in 1531, but it received its town rights in 1564 that were held until 1869 when they were taken away by Russian control. The original name was Wola Rudnicka or Rudzianska, with a name change probably at the end of the 16th century. In 1747, the estate of Michow was bought by the Jesuits, who obtained the right to hold 5 fairs a year . In the 19th century, a tannery existed in the town. Michow sits between two streams with wet meadows, undulating farmland, and semi-wooded landscape before the Wieprz river valley. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: Located in the forest about 1500 feet from the Michow-Przytoczno road, the 0.9 ha cemetery was established about 1800. No trace of the cemetery remains. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000188
Michow is located in Lublin at 51º31 22º19, 40 km from Lublin. Cemetery location: 500 m N of town center, in a young pine forest on the edge of fields. Present town population is 1.000-5,000 without Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was early 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 1711 (56%). The Jewish cemetery was established early 19th century with last Hasidic burial 1942. The isolated wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public and private property and crops without wall or gate, there are no gravestones or mass graves. The unknown owner uses property as forest. Properties adjacent are agricultural and forests. Private visitors rarely visit. Vegetation and security are very serious threats. Not marked or recognized as a cemetery, it could therefore be used for other purposes. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII (All stones were removed at that time). No maintenance or care.
Pawel Sygowski, ul. Kalinowszczyzna 64/59, 20-201 Lublin, tel. 772078 completed survey Dec 1991. He visited Nov 1991. Interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Monday, 15 June 2009 17:05|