MIASTECZKO SLASKIE: SLASKIE Print

Coat of arms of Miasteczko Śląskie

Alternate names: Miasteczko Śląskie, Miasteczko, Georgenberg [Ger]. 50°30' N 18°56' E, 150.1 miles SW of Warszawa. Miasteczko Śląskie  is a small town in the Silesian Higlands in southern Poland near Katowice that borders on the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union metropolis with a  population of 2 millions situated in the Silesian Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Katowice Voivodeship. The population of the town is 7,347 in 2008. The beginnings of Jewish settlement in the town date back to the Silesian the nineteenth century. The kahal began in the second half of the 19th century in a city with about a 100 Jews. In the Tarnowskich Mountains, this was the second largest village in the district in the nineteenth century, the place where many Jews lived. Although the synagogue still stood near the cemetery on ulica Niepodległości after the war, the synagogue was destroyed in the 1960s. [June 2009]

The Jewish cemetery was established probably in 1879-1880. Fragments of the calcareous stone fence and a few gravestones remain with the following matzevot names: Olga Bielshowski, Matilda, Bloh, Lolita Blog, Elias Kreiss, Ring Rosalia, Rosalie Grossman, Frederika Pese, Rosalia Lewkow, Jenny Grintbaum, Benjamin Behuesch, Nina Pinczower, Cacilie Seidemann, Johanna Issak. Located about 1 km from the market on a small hilly street, the cemetery had a wall. Part of the cemetery land belonged to the Jewish community in Tarnowskich Górach. That no longer exists because in 2003, the Agricultural Property Agency of the Treasury sold that parcel to a private cemetery. The remaining devastated cemetery merits preservation work. Photos.  [June 2009]

US Commission No. 000535: The US Commission is not finished rechecking this file. [2000]

Last Updated on Monday, 15 June 2009 15:29