You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland MARGONIN: Wielkopolskie
MARGONIN: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Margonin

Alternate names: Margonin [Pol, Ger]. 52°58' N, 17°06' E, 38 miles N of Poznań (Posen). Jewish population: 189 (in 1881), 54 (in 1905). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VI, p. 113: "Margonin" #1. Margonin is a town in Chodzież County, Greater Poland Voivodeship with 2,941 inhabitants in 2004. Gmina Margonin is an urban-rural administrative district in Chodzież County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. Its seat is the town of Margonin, 13 km (8 mi) E of Chodzież and 64 km (40 mi) N of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population is 6,414 (out of which the population of Margonin amounts to 2,956). Apart from the town of Margonin, Gmina Margonin contains the villages and settlements of Adolfowo, Bugaj, Dębiniec, Karolinka, Klaudia, Klotyldzin, Kowalewo, Lipiniec, Lipiny, Marcinek, Margońska Wieś, Młynary, Próchnowo, Radwanki, Studźce, Sułaszewo, Sypniewo, Tereska, Witkowice, Zbyszewice and Żoń. Jewish history. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000433

Margonin is located in Pilaat at 52º58 17º06, 30 km. from Pila. Cemetery location: Okopowa St. (New Town). Present town population is 5,000-25,000 without Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta i Gminy w Margoninie. Regional: mgr Roman Chwaliszewski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 64-920 Pila, ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow oddziar w Pile, mgr Barbara Luczyziska.
  • Interested: mgr Marek Fijalkowski, Muzeum Okzegowe, 64-920 Pile, ul. Chopina 1, tel. 271-37.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in the 17th century. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all without wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 1.0 hectares. There are no gravestones, structures, or mass graves. The municipality owns the cemetery property used for recreation. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Local residents rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No maintenance, care, or threats.
mz. Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey 30 Aug 1991. No interviews and no site visit. Documentation sources worked out by Mr. Flatkowski [sic].
Last Updated on Monday, 15 June 2009 11:53
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution