MALBORK: Pomorskie Print

Coat of arms of Malbork

Alternate names: Marienburg in Westpreußen [Ger] ; Civitas Beatae Virginis [Latin]. 54°2′N 19°2′E This town in northern Poland in the Żuławy region with 41,000 inhabitants in 2001 in the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999 was previously in Elbląg Voivodeship (1975-1998) and the capital of Malbork County. Jewish population: 1880-306 (4%); 1932 - 170; and 1933 - 33. Jews in Malbork appeared in 14th century, but the privilege of "de non tolerandis ludaeis" prohibited a permanent settlement. Six Jewish families lived there in 1813. In 1814, the kahal formed; in 1826, the first synagogue was adapted from an old granary. The Jews had a millrace mikvah. In 1898, a new Malbork synagogue was consecrated. On the synagogue site now is Rodła Alley, current housing in the Old Town. The mikvah survived. Buildings in Old Town had been the stores of Malbork Jews. [June 2009]

CEMETERY: The Jewish cemetery in Malbork was located in 500-Lecia St. The area is now partially built over with a bus station, a gas switch-room and roads. The place is commemorated with a lapidarium. In 1819 the kahał received land from the city to establish the cemetery in a place known as Hoppenbruch Wielbark near the village, a district now called Malbork. The cemetery area was enlarged in 1871, 1883, 1893 and 1927. Both stone and wooden gravestones exist, depending on the deceased's status. The Chevra Kaddisha in Malbork was established in 1852. An empty part of the cemetery is used for Soviet soldiers, who won part of the Jewish cemetery. The Germans destroyed the cemetery. In Elblag, pieces of gravestones are steps. A single preserved gravestone was found and secured by Thomas Agejczyka. photos. [June 2009]

Last Updated on Monday, 15 June 2009 11:47