Alternate names: Magnuszew, Mognishev. 51°46' N, 21°24' E. Magnuszew is a village in Kozienice powiat, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland and the seat of the (administrative district) called Gmina Magnuszew, 23 km (14 mi) NW of Kozienice and 59 km (37 mi) SE of Warsaw with a population of 800 near the Vistula river. Gmina Magnuszew contains the villages and settlements of Aleksandrów, Anielin, Basinów, Boguszków, Bożówka, Chmielew, Dębowola, Gruszczyn, Grzybów, Kępa Skórecka, Kłoda, Kolonia Rozniszew, Kurki, Latków, Magnuszew, Mniszew, Osiemborów, Ostrów, Przewóz Stary, Przewóz Tarnowski, Przydworzyce, Rękowice, Rozniszew, Trzebień, Tyborów, Wilczkowice Dolne, Wilczowola, Wola Magnuszewska, Wólka Tarnowska, Zagroby, Żelazna Nowa and Żelazna Stara. Jewish settlement dates from after the third partition of Polish. Jewish population: 1827 - 330 (33%); 1913 - of 3,206 people, 1,702 were Jews; 1921 -731 (46.6%); and in 1939 - nine. Chasidism was prevalent. In 1840, a wooden synagogue, cheder, mikvah, and cemetery existed. In 1892, construction of new synagogue began and 189, a stone mikvah. The Nazis set up a ghetto in Paciejów [51° 57'40"N 21°31'1"E and map] for the seven Jews and those from the nearby village. Then, In September 1942, the Jews were deported to the ghetto in Kozienice and later to the extermination camp at Treblinka. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: video. photos. The 18th century Jewish cemetery is located at ul. Bohaterów Września to the NE of the village near the cemetery and destroyed Catholic cemetery. During WWII and after, devastation and neglect left the cemetery with no graestones. Some matzevot were thrown into the pond between the cemetery and church. The nearby co-operative tried to collect gravestones from many places; there are human bones exposed from graves. Marek DRAPAŁA, President of the Club Fans of the Earth found several matzevot in the city hopefully will be recovered in the near future and returned to their proper place. Some matzevot are stored on mill's driveway. [June 2009]
Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland took possession of the Jewish cemetery in Magnuszew. The 18th century cemetery is located on Bohaterow Wrzesnia St., SW the center of the town, near the Catholic and Evangelic cemeteries. No matzevot remain; however some of them may still be found in different spots throughout Magnuszew. [May 2011]
US Commission No. POCE000080
(Alternate name: Magnaszev in Yiddish) Magnuszew is located in Radomskie at 51º46 21º23, 80 km from Warszawa and 27 km from Warka. Cemetery location: Bohaterow Wuzefnia St. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 without Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1840?. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 731 (46.6%). The Jewish cemetery was established in 19th century with last Conservative burial in 1942. The suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all without wall or gate. There are no gravestones, structures, or mass graves. The municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are cemeteries. Organized Jewish group tours and private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No maintenance or care. Security, erosion, pollution, vegetation, and vandalism are moderate threats; incompatible development is serious threat.
Dr. Adam Penkalla, deceased, visited site and completed survey Aug. 1991. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 May 2011 14:24|