MACIEJOWICE: US Commission No. POCE000573
Maciejowice is located in Siedlechie province at 21.34 51.42, 85 km from Warsaw and 30 km from Garwolin. The cemetery is located westward along Niecata Street where it becomes a dirt road. Alternate Yiddish name: Motechevitz. Present population is 1,000-5,000 without Jews.
The Jewish population before WWII was over 1500. The Jewish cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century with last known burial during WWII. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all without wall, fence, or gate. The size today and before WWII was 0.5 hectare. No stones are visible. The municipality owns unused site. Adjacent properties are forest. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonable problem preventing access. Rarely, private visitors stop. The local authorities cleared the vegetation in 1992. No structures. Care now is occasional cleared vegetation by local authorities.
- Town: Urzad Miejski, Maciejowice, tel. 119 0737.
- Local: Urzad Miejski. Regional official: Wojwodzki Konserwator Zabytkow Siedlce, ul. Zbrojna 3, tel. No. 394-58.
- Interested: Gminy Osrodek Kultry, [Communal Culture Center], Maciejowice.
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed this survey on 12 Nov 1992 using urban historical study of Maciejowice by PKZ Lublin, available in the conservator's office in Siedlce. He visited the site on 14 Sep 1992 and interviewed Bogumita Orzechowska, ul. Kosciuszki 52, Maciejowice.