Alternate names: Lwówek [Pol], Neustadt bei Pinne [Ger], Kirschneustadt [Ger, 1943-45], Lvovek. 52°27' N, 16°11' E, 33 miles W of Poznań (Posen) istown in Nowy Tomyśl powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship with 2,939 inhabitants in 2004. Jewish population: 540 (in 1871).
US Commission No. POCE000454
(Alternate name: Pinne in German) Lwowek is located in Poznan at 52º27 16º11, 50 km from Poznan. Cemetery location is Neustadt 6. The House of Culture and Library were built in the Jewish cemetery. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1719. 1921 Jewish population was 72. Conservative Jews used this cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. There are no gravestones. The municipality owns site used for a library and a House of Culture. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. There is no maintenance or care. The cemetery no longer exists.
Pniewski Stawomir, Poznan, ul. Przybyszewskiego 41/4 completed survey Aug. 1991. Documentation: a 1940 German map and Heppner Heppner, A., and Herzberg, J., Aus Vergangenheit und Gegen. Die Juden und die judischen gemeinden in den Posener Landen, 1905-79, with photos. The site was not visited, but interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 14 June 2009 15:54|