You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland LUTUTOW: Łódźkie
LUTUTOW: Łódźkie PDF Print E-mail

Herb

Alternate names: Lututów [Pol], Lititov [Yid], Lututov [Rus]. 51°22' N, 18°26' E, 52 miles WSW of Łódź, 30 miles SSE of Kalisz. 1900 Jewish population: 829. This village in Łódź, Wieruszowskim in Gmina Lututów on National Road No. 14 administratively belonged to the Region sieradzkiego in 1975-1998. Gmina Lututów contains the villages and settlements of Augustynów, Bielawy, Brzozowiec, Chojny, Dębina, Dobrosław, Dobrosław-Kolonia, Dymki, Hipolity, Huta, Janusz, Jeżopole, Józefina, Kijanice, Kłoniczki, Kluski, Knapy, Kopaniny, Kornelin, Kozub, Łęki Duże, Łęki Małe, Lututów, Niemojew, Ostrycharze, Piaski, Piaski-Młynek, Popielina, Popielina-Towarzystwo, Świątkowice, Swoboda, Walknówek, Wiry, Żmuda and Zygmuntów. Jews settled in the 18th century. In 1921 the Poles were a distinct minority in village with 1,466 Jews (69%). At the beginning of 1940, the Nazis created a ghetto for 1,200 that was liquidated in August 1942. Some Jews locked in the church for a few days and then were sent directly to extermination in Chelmno and others moved to the ghetto in Lodz. WWII left Lututów desolate. The 19th century synagogue at ulicy Wieruszowskiej 4 was transformed into a cinema and then a tailoring operation.The rectangular Brick synagogue has a porch on the west that connected to the sanctuary with a high, semi-circular window covered by a peaked roof. Half of the cemetery destroyed by the Nazis remains with no gravestones. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000685
Lututow is located in Sieradz region at 51º22 N 18º26 E, 37 km from Sieradz. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, ul. Klonowska 8, 98-360 Lututow, tel. 52.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow w Sieradzu, 98-200 Sieradz, ul. Kosciuszki 3, tel. 849-3815. Urzad Wojewodzki w Sieradzu, Plac Wojewodzki 3, 98-200 Sieradz, tel. 849-71666.
  • Interested: Lydowski kistytut Historyczuy w Polsce, ul. Tlomackie 315, 00-090 Warszawa, tel. 27-92-21.

The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1921 Jewish population was 1466 (68.8%). The Orthodox and Conservative Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last burial in 1942. The isolated suburban rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. Present size of the cemetery is 2 hectares. There are no gravestones, structures, or mass graves. The municipality owns site used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, organized Jewish and individual tours, private visitors, and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII, but not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance or care. Security, vegetation, and incompatible development (planned and existing) are moderate threats.

Adam Penkalla, deceased, cmpleted survey Nov. 1992. He visited the site.

Last Updated on Sunday, 14 June 2009 15:44
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution