52°52' N 16°31' E , 192.9 miles WNW of Warszawa. Lubasz is a village in Czarnków-Trzcianka County, Greater Poland Voivodeship in west-central Poland and is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Lubasz 5 km (3 mi) SW of Czarnków and 59 km (37 mi) NW of the regional capital Poznań. The village has a population of 2,500. Gmina Lubasz contains the villages and settlements of Antoniewo, Bończa, Bzowo, Dębe, Elżbiecin, Goraj, Jędrzejewo, Kamionka, Klempicz, Krucz, Kruteczek, Lubasz, Miłkówko, Miłkowo, Nowina, Prusinowo, Sławno, Sokołowo and Stajkowo. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000408
German alternate name: Lubasch. Lubasz is in the region Pila at 52º57 N 16º32 E, 5 km from Czarnkow. The cemetery is by the road to Antoniew. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community and the Progressive/Reform cemetery were established in the early 17th century. Landmark: Register of monuments of Pita No. A-673. The isolated rural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Before World War II, the cemetery was approximately 0.40 ha. Now it is approximately 0.39 ha. 1 and 20 gravestones, not in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1677-20th century. The granite or sandstone rough stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. There are no known mass graves in the cemetery. A regional or national governmental agency owns cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Local residents rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no care. Security, weather erosion, vegetation, and vandalism are slight threats.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szcucin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on August 30, 1991. There were no site visits or interviews.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 13 June 2009 19:54|