Alternate names: Łomazy [Pol], Lomaz, לומאז [Yid]. Russian: Ломазы. 51°54' N, 23°10' E, 41 miles ESE of Siedlce, 27 miles WSW of Brest, 9 miles S of Biała Podlaska. 1900 Jewish population: 1,793. Yizkors: Sefer Lomaz (Tel Aviv, 1994) and Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, pp. 690-691: "Łomazy". Łomazy is a village in Biała Podlaska powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in E Poland and the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Łomazy, 16 km (10 mi) S of Biała Podlaska and 84 km (52 mi) NE of the regional capital Lublin. The village had a population of 1,700. Gmina Łomazy contains the villages and settlements of Bielany, Burwin, Dubów, Huszcza Druga, Huszcza Pierwsza, Jusaki-Zarzeka, Kopytnik, Korczówka, Koszoły, Kozły, Krasówka, Łomazy, Lubenka, Stasiówka, Studzianka, Szymanowo, Wola Dubowska and Wólka Korczowska. Jewish Encyclopedia citation. The village was the site of the murder of 1,700 local jews by a batallion of German Order Police on August 17, 1942. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000396
Alternate name: Lomaz (Yiddish). Lomazy is located in Biala-Podlaska at 51º24 23º10, 88 km NNE of Lublina. The cemetery is located at ul. Cmentarna. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1589. A synagogue is mentioned in 1784 and 1884. Orthodox Jewish population before WWII was 829. OR The earliest known Jewish community in the town existed in 1623, but there was also a Jewish leaseholder mentioned in 1589. The Orthodox cemetery is located on rural (agricultural) flat land, separate but near the Catholic cemetery (Cmentarz Katolicki). Signs in Polish and Yiddish mark the cemetery. These signs mention the Holocaust and the Jewish community. There are also Jewish symbols on the gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous fence with a locking gate surrounds the cemetery. There are no visible gravestones. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns it. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized after World War II and since. The caretaker fixed the wall, the gate, and cleared vegetation. Occasionally, private Jewish visitors stop.
Michal Witwicki, ul. Dembowskiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa, tel: 6418345 completed survey on 20/08/1991.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 13 June 2009 00:14|