LOBZENICA: Wielkopolskie Print

Coat of arms of ŁobżenicaAlternate names: Łobżenica [Pol], Lobsens [Ger]. 53°16' N, 17°16' E, 32 miles WNW of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). Jewish population; 467 (in 1881), 77 (in 1921). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, p. 672: "Łobżenica". Łobżenica is a town in Piła powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship with 3,211 inhabitants in 2004. Gmina Łobżenica is an urban-rural administrative district in west-central Poland. Its seat is the town of Łobżenica, 37 km (23 mi) E of Piła and 99 km (62 mi) N of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population was 9,853. Apart from the town of Łobżenica, Gmina Łobżenica contains the villages and settlements of Biegodzin, Chlebno, Dębno, Dziegciarnia, Dziunin, Dźwierszno Małe, Dźwierszno Wielkie, Fanianowo, Ferdynandowo, Izdebki, Józefinowo, Kościerzyn Mały, Kruszki, Kunowo, Liszkowo, Łobżonka, Luchowo, Młynowo, Nowina, Piesno, Puszczka, Rataje, Stebionek, Szczerbin, Topola, Trzeboń, Walentynowo, Wiktorówko, Witrogoszcz, Witrogoszcz-Kolonia, Witrogoszcz-Osada, Zawada and Zdroje. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000427

(Alternate name: Lobsens in German) Lobzenica is located in Pila at 52º15 17º16, 35 km from Pila. Cemetery location: in N part of the townlet. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta i Gminy w Lobzenicy.
  • Local: mgr. Roman Chwaliszewski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 64-900 Pila, ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow oddriar w Pila, mgr. Barbara Luczynska.
  • Interested: mgr. Marek Fijarkowski, Muzeum Okregowe, 64-920 Pila, ul. Chopina 1, tel. 271-37.

Earliest known Jewish community was mid-16th century. The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established mid-16th century. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII was 1.0 hectares. The cemetery has been liquidated. There are no gravestones, mass graves, or structures. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. The municipality owns site used for a park with a concert hall.

mz. Henryk Srecki, 70-534 Szczecin, Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey 30 Aug 1991. Site not visited; no interviews.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 31 August 2010 13:28