Alternate names: Lipsko [Pol, Rus], Lipsk [Yid]. Липско [Rus], ליפסקו-[Yid]. 51°10' N, 21°39' E, 28 miles SE of Radom, 17 miles E of Iłża (Drilch). Jewish population: 1,468 (in 1897), 1,376 (in 1921). This is not Lipsk, W of Grodno. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, p. 295: "Lipsko" #1. Lipsko is a town in Mazowsze Voivodship that is the capital of Lipsko powiat with a population of 5,895 in 2004. Powiat Lipski is a unit of territorial administration and local government in the Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland since January 1, 1999. Its administrative seat and only town is Lipsko, 127 km (79 mi) S of Warsaw. The 2006 total population is 36,669, out of which the population of Lipsko is 5,826. Jews began to settle in 1676. The 1.5 ha cemetery on ulica Czechowskiego was established in 17th century. The last burial took place in 1942. The cemetery was devastated during WWII. No fragments of matzevot remain since the site now is a park.[June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE00078
Located in Radom at 51º10 N 27º39 E, 145 km from Warsaw. Cemetery is on Czachowski Street. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community is 1676. 1921 Jewish population was 1376. The Jewish Conservative cemetery was established in the 17th century with last known Jewish burial 1942. The isolated urban crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. Approximate size of cemetery was and is 1.5 ha. No tombstones are visible. The municipality owns property used as a park. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized in WW II. There is no maintenance or structures. Incompatible development is a moderate threat; pollution and weather erosion are slight threats.
Dr. Adam Penkalla, deceased, visited site and completed survey on 8/7/1991. (He may have additional information.)
|Last Updated on Friday, 12 June 2009 19:52|