|LIDZBARK WARMINSKI: Warmińsko-Mazurskie|
Alternate names: Lidzbark Warmiński [Pol], Heilsberg [Ger], Licbark, Lidzbark na Warmii, Kheyl'sberg. 54°08' N, 20°35' E, 79 miles E of Gdańsk (Danzig), 40 miles S of Kaliningrad (Königsberg). 1900 Jewish population: 164 (in 1871), 34 (in 1933). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, p. 220: "Lidzbark Warmiński". This town in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship is the capital of Lidzbark powiat. Nicolaus Copernicus lived at the castle for several years, and it is believed he wrote part of his De revolutionibus orbium coelestium there. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000644
Located in Olsztynskie, at 54º 07 20º 3546 km from Olsztyn. Cemetery location is near the town's forest around 200 meters E of the road to Olsztyn. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1472. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Progressive/Reform cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century with last Jewish burial 1939. The Jewish population before WWII was about 1934. The isolated suburban wooded hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all but difficult [sic]. There is no wall, fence or gate. Approximate size of cemetery was.10 ha. both now and before WWII. 1-20 gravestones exist, none in original location. The municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are recreational. Local residents visit rarely. There is no maintenance or structures. Vegetation and vandalism are moderate threats. Security and weather erosion are slight threats.
Wiktor Knercer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33m 16, Tel. 33-86-07 visited site and completed survey in Oct. 1991. Documentation: Frederichs Deutsches Stadtebuch, Stuttgart 1933; Statistisches Handbuck fur die Provinz Ostepreuzen, 1938. P. Stawomir
|Last Updated on Friday, 12 June 2009 12:45|