Alternate names: Lędyczek [Pol], Landeck [Ger], Landeck in Westprussen, Lendyczek. 53°32' N, 16°57' E, 77 miles N of Poznań (Posen), 51 miles WNW of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). Jewish population: 193 (in 1880), 45 (in 1933). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, p. 140: "Lendyczek" #1. Lędyczek is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Okonek within Złotów powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. It lies approximately 7 kilometres (4 mi) east of Okonek, 21 km (13 mi) north of Złotów, and 126 km (78 mi) N of the regional capital Poznań. Before 1945, the area was part of Germany. The village has a population of 526. "The Jewish Cemetery was just a grove of young birch trees" photo. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000407
Alternate name: Landeck in German. Lendyczek is in Pila at 53º32 16º58, 40 km from Pila. Cemetery location: NE part of the village, 800 m from the settlement. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established beginning of the 19th century. The Okonek communities used this cemetery, 8 km away. The isolated wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.65 hectares. 1-20 gravestones, less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1897. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No mass graves. A regional or national governmental agency owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are forest. Local residents rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized prior to WWII. There is no maintenance or care. There are no structures. No threats.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szcrecin, Soltysie 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey 30 Aug 1991. No visit or interview.
|Last Updated on Friday, 12 June 2009 00:13|