You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland LECZYCA: Łódźkie
LECZYCA: Łódźkie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Łęczyca Alternate names: Łęczyca [Pol], Lintshits, לינטשיץ [Yid], Lenchitsa, Ленчица [Rus], Lancicia [Lat], Lenczyca [Ger], Lentschütz [Ger, 1939-45], Linchits, Lechicha, Lenczyk, Lecycza, Lenchitsha, Lentshits, Lintchitz, Lunchich, Luntzitz, Luntschitz, Lentschitza. 52°04' N, 19°13' E, 24 miles NNW of Łódź, 39 miles SSW of Płock, 53 miles ENE of Kalisz. 1900 Jewish population: 3,444. Yizkor: Sefer Linshits (Tel Aviv, 1953). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, pp. 649-652: "Łęczyca". The Royal Town of Łęczyca (Polish: Królewskie Miasto Łęczyca) had 16,594 inhabitants in 2004. In Łódź Voivodeship, this is the seat of the Łęczyca powiat. Jews began to settle in 1479. The 14.72 ha ul. Bardowskiego Jewish cemetery was established probably in second half of 15th century. 1921 Jewish population: 4051. The last registered burial took place in 1939. The area was built over with housing. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000622

Leczyca is located in Plock at 18º 10 52º 03, 47 km from Lodz and 63 km from Plock. Cemetery location: ul. Dzierzynskiego. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta, ul. Konopnickiej 14, tel. 23-45.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 09-400 Plock, ul. Kolegialna 15.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1479. 1921 Jewish population was 4,051. Effecting the Jewish community: Murder of Jews during the Polish-Swedish war in 1656. Living here was Rabbi Efraim Salomon (1619). The Jewish cemetery was probably established in second half of 15th century with last burial about 1939. Orthodox and Conservative Jews used this cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. There are no gravestones in the cemetery. Three stones are in the Museum of the Land of Leczyca in the castle. The oldest known gravestone date from 1820 (in the museum). The sandstone flat stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew inscriptions No known mass graves. The municipality owns the cemetery property is housing. Properties adjacent are residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. There is no maintenance or care [sic: From conflicting documentation submitted, the cemetery may not actually exist.]
Pawel Fijalkowski, 96-500 Sochaczew, ul. Ziemowita 11, tel. 227-91 visited site July 1991 and completed survey 21 Nov 1991. He used his own photo-archives. No interviews.
Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 23:36
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution