LATOWICZ: Masovia Print

52°02' N 21°48' E, 37.1 miles ESE of Warszawa. Gmina Latowicz is a rural administrative district in Mińsk County, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland with its seat is the village of Latowicz, 25 km (16 mi) SE of Mińsk Mazowiecki. The gmina 2006 total population was 5,559. Gmina Latowicz contains the villages and settlements of Borówek, Budy Wielgoleskie, Budziska, Chyżyny, Dąbrówka, Dębe Małe, Generałowo, Gołełąki, Kamionka, Latowicz, Oleksianka, Redzyńskie, Stawek, Strachomin, Transbór, Waliska, Wężyczyn and Wielgolas. [June 2009]

US Comm. No. POCE000652

Alternate Yiddish name: Garvolin. Latowicz is 25 km from Minsk Mazowiecki and 31 km from Siedlce. The cemetery is located by the road to Strachomin. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, Latowicz, tel. 736-60.
The earliest known Jewish community dates from second half of 16th century. 1929 Jewish population was 460. Noteworthy history: restrictions against Jews by King Zygmunt III in 1596. The isolated rural/agricultural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery has no wall, fence, or gate. The cemetery size is 0.5 hectare. No stones are visible. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents visit. No current care. No structures. No threats. It was vandalized during WWII.
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 visited the site and completed this survey on 15 Dec 1992 using the urban study of Latowicz.
Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 22:47