Alternate names: Łaszczów [Pol], Loshtchov, לאשצ'וב [Yid], Lashchuv, Лащув [Rus], Lashchov. 50°32' N, 23°44' E, 25 miles SE of Zamość, 15 miles NE of Tomaszów Lubelski. 1900 Jewish population: 1,626. Yizkors: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999). Thisvillage (former city) in Lublin in Tomaszowskim district in the Łaszczów gmina in 1975-1998 town administratively belonged to the Region Zamojskiego. The synagogue and the kahal house were originally parts of the castle destroyed during the flood in Sweden. The remains of Jewish cemetery probably founded in the eighteenth century has a matzeva from 1827.
The first documentation of Jews in Łaszczów comes from 1629. In 1673, the Jews had three houses and in 1765 paid tax for 360 Jews. The kahal established in the 18th century acquired part of the castle buildings destroyed by the Swedes, in 1782 to adapt to the synagogue and kahal offices. The biggest growth in the local Jewish community took place in the 19th century. Jewish population: 1827-862; 1857-1,010; and 1897-1,621. In 1897 Jews made up 90.3% of the population. Chasidism was prevalent. Łaszczów was severely impacted by WWI when the rabbi was arrested and ransomed for 20,000 rubles. Many Jews were ruined and left. Many immigrated. In 1921, 1,041 remained. Nazi troops occupied Łaszczów at the end of September 1939 and immediately began repression. After a few days, most men were sent to the forced labor camp in Zamość. Those remaining in the village were sent to Belzec on May 17. Few survived. The Jewish cemetery at the current ul. Chopina was established in Łaszczowie probably in the 18th century with the kahał; however, the plaque affixed to the gate notes 1549 as the year of founding. During WWII, the cemetery was partially destroyed by the Nazis with most matzevot used for roads and pavements. After liberation, every stone in the cemetery was carried way. For many years, the cemetery had only one matzevot. In 1994, the cemetery was cleaned, few recovered gravestones set in the corner monument that was unveiled in honor of the Holocaust victims the inscriptions in Hebrew and Polish: "Monument to the Łaszczów Jewish martyrs, of blessed memory, killed by cruel Nazi murderers during World War II, 1939-1945. Łaszczowians in Israel. "In front of the monument, there are three symbolic graves, in memory of Jews murdered Łaszczow, Zimn and Nadolcach. Photos. [May 2009]
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 76
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [Mach 2016]
|Last Updated on Monday, 28 March 2016 21:52|