Alternate names: Łaskarzew [Pol], Laskazshev, לאסקאזשעוו [Yid], Laskazhev, Ласкажев [Rus], Laskaczev, Laskarov, Laskarzev, Laskerov, Laskirov. 51°48' N, 21°36' E, 40 miles SE of Warszawa, 7 miles SSW of Garwolin. Jewish population: 1,258 (in 1897), 1,476 (in 1939).
Yizkor: Seyfer Laskazshev un Sobolev (Paris, 198-). (The Laskarzew-Sobolew Book)
This town in east-central Poland is the seat of rural administrative district called Łaskarzew gmina in Garwolin County, Masovian Voivodeship with 4,948 inhabitants in 2004. The town is not part of the territory of the gmina. Gmina Łaskarzew contains the villages and settlements of Aleksandrów, Budel, Budy Krępskie, Celinów, Dąbrowa, Dąbrowa-Kolonia, Grabina, Izdebno, Izdebno-Kolonia, Kacprówek, Krzywda, Ksawerynów, Leokadia, Lewików, Lipniki, Melanów, Nowy Helenów, Nowy Pilczyn, Polesie Rowskie, Rowy, Sośninka, Stary Helenów, Stary Pilczyn, Uścieniec, Wanaty, Wola Łaskarzewska, Wola Rowska and Zygmunty. [June 2009]
Jewish settlement in Łaskarzew dates from the end of the 18th century. Jewish popuation: 1857-158; 1900-1,258 (44%), 1938-1,500. Jewish tailors made Łaskarzew an important center for tailoring in the 19th century through WWI. The Jewish community built the synagogue in 1893. Numerous Jewish socio-political organizations existed. After the occupation by German troops, they executed a group of Jewish fighters defending the city. On November 21, 1939, the Nazis held 27 consecutive executions of Jews and imposed slave labor. In autumn 1940, the ghetto was established for Łaskarzew Jews and those from nearby towns and villages like Parysów and Sobieni. Liquidation of the ghetto began on September 30, 1942. First was transport of about 400 people to Treblinka. Many Jews were killed in the city and about 900 hid in the forest, but returned due to approaching winter and hunger. Wagons took about 100 people to Treblinka. Some walked. Some fled to the forest, but the Gestapo killed most and buried them in mass graves. (Detailed testimony at Yad Vashem). Five Poles were murdered in November 1943 for hiding Jews. After the war, several Jews returned to the city, but three survivors were murdered after which, most Jews left. [May 2009]
- The Jewish cemetery approximately one km N of the market street (Rynek) was destroyed by the Nazis; and deteriorated after liberation. A street now runs through the cemetery. For many years, Zygmunt Warszawer, a survivor from Łaskarzew, tried to restore the cemetery. On his initiative, the Holocaust monument was erected. In 1986, the National Council of the City and Municipality in Łaskarzew decided to fence the cemetery. A low concrete wall surrounds the cemetery now. The left pillar of the gate holds a metal memorial plaque. In the eastern part of the cemetery, opposite the gate is the memorial to Holocaust victims. The monument is set with several matzevot. According to Jan Jagielski of the Jewish Historical Institute, tombstones are not from Łaskarzew but come from a nearby Jewish cemetery - probably Sobieni-Jezior - to create the lapidarium. The cemetery contains seven partially preserved and a dozen matzevot. These sandstone gravestones are characteristic of the 19th and early 20th century. Despite the renovations, the cemetery that progressively deteriorated years before continues to be abused--the plaque from the Holocaust monument detached, iron cut off the iron entry gate, the metal Mogen David on the fence stolen in several places. The information board at the entrance is gone. In the Market, just outside of Gmina office is a city map. Unfortunately, no one even marked the burial place of former Łaskarzew Jewish residents. Photos. details of the Holocaust in Laskarew. [May 2009]
- US Comm. No. POCE000592
- Alternate Yiddish name: Laskerov. Laskarzew is located in Siedlechie province at 51º4821º37, 12 km from Garwolin and 82 km from Warsaw. The cemetery is located by the exit of the town toward Garwolin. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
- Town: Urzad Miasti I Gminy, Duzy Rynek 11, tel. 11.
- Regional: Wojwodzki Konserwator Zabytkow Siedlce, ul. Zbrojna 3, tel. No. 394-58.
- The earliest known Jewish community dates from 1751. 1921 Jewish population was 2150. After the town became private property in 1809, the Jewish population immediately increased. The isolated urban flat land has a sign in Polish mentioning Jews and a Star of David and Menorah. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous masonry wall with a non-locking gate surrounds. The size today is 0.5 hectare but before WWII it was 1.0 hectare. 1-20 stones, not in original position with fewer than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. The granite and sandstone rough stones/boulders and flat stones with carved relief decoration have Yiddish inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial monument to Holocaust victims. No known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. The boundaries are smaller due to housing development. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. Local and regional authorities did re-erection of stones, cleaned stones, fixed wall and gate in the 1960's. Current care is occasional cleaning or clearing by authorities. No structures. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem. Weather erosion and incompatible nearby development (existing) are a moderate threat. Pollution and vegetation are a slight threat.
- Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed this survey on 20 Sep 1992 using Urban historical study of Laskarzew by Maria Dauksza and St. Fiedorczuk, Siedlce 1990, available in the office of the Conservator of Monuments in Siedlce. Other documentation exists but is too general. He visited the site on 20 Sep 1992.