Alternate names: Łasin [Pol], Lessen [Ger], Łazin. 53°32' N, 19°06' E, 59 miles SSE of Gdańsk (Danzig), 14 miles ENE of Grudziądz (Graudenz). Jewish population: 23 in 1921. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, pp. 595-599: "Łasin". This town in Grudziądz powiat, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship with 3,271 inhabitants in 2004. Gmina Łasin is an urban-rural (administrative district in Grudziądz County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north-central Poland with its seat is the town of Łasin, 63 km (39 mi) NE of Toruń with a 2006 population of 8,288 (in Łasin village, 3,276).Gmina Łasin also contains the villages and settlements of Bogdanki, Boże Pole, Goczałki, Gordanowo, Hermanowo, Huta-Strzelce, Jakubkowo, Jankowice, Kozłowo, Ludwichowo, Małe Szczepanki, Nogat, Nowe Błonowo, Nowe Jankowice, Nowe Mosty, Plesewo, Przesławice, Stare Błonowo, Święte, Szczepanki, Szonowo Królewskie, Szonowo Szlacheckie, Szynwałd, Szynwałdzik, Wybudowanie Łasińskie, Wydrzno, Zawda and Zawdzka Wola. Jews first settled in the town in 1816. The 0.22 ha Jewish cemetery on ulica Radzynska was established in 1818 and destroyed during WWII. [June 2009]
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities: Poland [Nov 2011]
US Commission No. AS 147
(Alternate name: Lessen in German) Lasin is located in Torinskie at 53º3219º06, 40 km from Torinia. Cemetery location: ul. Radzynska. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1816. 1927 Jewish population was 7 (out of 2148). Effecting the Jewish community: 1858 when the community got the statute. Second half of the 19th century, the wooden synagogue at 3 Podgorna St. was built. After 1920, the community declined, In 1922, the synagogue was sold to the city. Living here were Lewis Abraham and Salomon Bernstein, leaders of the community. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1818. The urban crown of a hill, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII was 0.07 hectares. There are no gravestones, structures, or mass graves in the cemetery. Present unknown owner uses land for recreation and a car park. Properties adjacent are cemeteries. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII.
mgr. Manena Stocka, 87-100 Torun, ul. Lyskowskiego 37E m. 185 visited site in 1991 and completed survey was 25 Oct 1991. Person interviewed: Wydzial Geodezji.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 November 2011 12:45|