LAPSZE NIZNE: Małopolski Print

Alternate names: Łapsze Niżne [Pol], Alsó-Laps [Hun, until 1892], Alsólápos [Hun, since 1892], Nižny Lapše [Slov], Unterlapsch [Ger]. 49°24' N, 20°15' E, 50 miles SSE of Kraków, 26 miles SW of Nowy Sącz, 11 miles ESE of Nowy Targ. Part of the "Polski Spisz" region. Jewish population: 27 (in 1880).  Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, p. 593: "Łapsze" #2. Łapsze Niżne is a village in Nowy Targ powiat, Lesser Poland Voivodeship in southern Poland near the border with Slovakia and the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Łapsze Niżne, (12 mi) SE of Nowy Targ and 77 km (48 mi) S of the regional capital Kraków. The village has a population of 1,400. Gmina Łapsze Niżne contains the villages and settlements of Falsztyn, Frydman, Kacwin, Łapszanka, Łapsze Niżne, Łapsze Wyżne, Niedzica and Trybsz. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000746

Alternate name: Kremerwist. Lapsze Nizne is located in Nowy Sacz at 49º24 20º14, 33 km from Nowy Targ and 52 km from Nowy Sacz. Cemetery location: E of village. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, 34-442 Lapsze Nizne, tel. 593-19.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, mgr. inz. Zygmunt Lewcruk, ul. Kilinokiego 68, 33-300 Nowy Sacz, tel. 238-38-234.

1921 Jewish population was 6. The isolated wooded hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with no wall or gate. There are no gravestones or structures. Present unknown owner uses site for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery is rarely visited. There is no maintenance or care.

Piotr Antoniak, ul. Dobra 5 m 36, 05-800 Pruszkow completed survey 6 Sept 1992. He visited 22 Aug 1992.

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 19:22