Alternate Names: Łagów [Pol], Lagov, Лагув [Rus], Lagif, לאגוב [Yid]. 50°47' N, 21°05' E, 44 miles S of Radom, 18 miles E of Kielce, 15 miles W of Opatów (Apt). Łagow is a village in Kielce County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in south-central Poland and the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Łagów.
US Commission No. POCE000290
Lagow is located in Kielce at 45N 21.00E º, 37 km from Kielce. Cemetery location: agricultural land between road to Kielce and Pucki. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1878. 1929 Jewish population was 1,269 (50.2%). The Orthodox and Conservative Jewish cemetery was established in 1867 with last burial in 1942. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII was possibly about 10.5 hectares; now it is 0.5 hectares. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 due to agriculture. There are no gravestones, structures, or mass graves. The municipality owns site used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII, but not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance or care. Security, erosion, and pollution are moderate threats to the cemetery.
- Town: Wojt. Gminy Lagow, 27-430 Lagow, Kole Staszowa, ul. Rynek 52, tel. 41.
- Local: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. IX Wiekow Kielc 3, Kielce, tel. 45634.
Dr Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey. He visited the site. No interviews.