Alternate names: Łabiszyn [Pol], Labischin [Ger]. 52°57' N, 17°56' E, 14 miles S of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). 1900 Jewish population: 376.
Gmina Łabiszyn is an urban-rural administrative district in Żnin County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship in north-central Poland with its seat in the town of Łabiszyn, 19 km (12 mi) NE of Żnin. The gmina 2006 population is 9,435 with the population of Łabiszyn at 4,473. Gmina Łabiszyn also contains the villages and settlements of Annowo, Antoniewo, Buszkowo, Jabłówko, Jabłowo Pałuckie, Jeżewice, Jeżewo, Kąpie, Klotyldowo, Łabiszyn-Wieś, Lubostroń, Nowe Dąbie, Obielewo, Obórznia, Ojrzanowo, Oporówek, Oporowo, Ostatkowo, Pszczółczyn, Rzywno, Smerzyn, Smogorzewo, Wielki Sosnowiec, Władysławowo, Wyręba, Załachowo and Zdziersk. On the eve of WWII, only 85 Jews lived in Labiszyn. The Jewish cemeterywas established about the 19th century 100 meters from Labiszyn-Szubin Road. One fragment of a matzeva together with the foundations of pre-burial house or ohel and some earthworks are all that remains. In March 2008, four granite plates that once were covering the floor of the destroyed synagogue in Labiszyn were stolen from the local Jewish cemetery. The plates were to be used as part of the memorial lapidarium. Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland reported this crime to the authorities. [June 2009]
BOOK: Author: Lewin, Isaac, collector. Title: Lewin collection, [ca. 1200]-1942, [ca. 1700]-1942 (bulk) Description: ca. 22.5 linear ft. Notes: Contains variety of records of Jewish communities in Central and Eastern Europe especially in Posen, Silesia and other German-speaking areas, including pinkasim (record books) of communities and societies, memorial books with lists of deaths, …, cemetery registers, society statutes, synagogue seat records, and other documents of communities at … Labischin (Labiszyn, Poland). Location: Yeshiva University. Special Collections. Rare Books and Manuscripts, New York, NY. Control No.: NYYH88-A76 [December 2000]
US Commission No. POCE000600
(Alternate name: Labischin in German) Labiszyn is located in Bydgoszcz at 52º57 17º55, 23 km from Bydgoszcz. The cemetery is at ul. Lesna 3. Present town population is 1,000-5,000, with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was at the end of the 18th century. 1884 Jewish population was 503. There is no data available for 1939. The date that the Jewish cemetery was established is unknown, but was probably during the 19th century. The isolated rural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wal, gate, or fence surrounds. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 1.01 hectares. There are no gravestones. Within the limits of the cemeter is a pre-burial house in very bad condition -- only pieces and loose fragments remain. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality currently owns the property in a forest. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Since then, There is no maintenance. No care. Security, weather erosion, and vegetation are all slight threats to the cemetery.
Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel: 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992. The card of cemetery 1992 WKZ Bydgoszcz was used for documentation. She visited the site in 10/1992
UPDATE: Commemorative monuments unveiled at the Jewish cemetery on September 3, 2014. [Sep 2014]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 06 September 2014 10:50|