|KSIAZ WIELKI: Małopolskie|
Alternate names: Książ Wielki [Pol], Keshionzh, קשוינש [Yid], Ksyenzh-Vel'ki, Ксёнж-Вельки [Rus], Kshanzh Vyelki, Kshaz Vyelki, Kshanzh, Kshaz, Kshoynge, Kshoynzh, Książ, Xiąż, Xions. 50°26' N, 20°08' E, 26 miles NNE of Kraków, 36 miles SW of Kielce. 1900 Jewish population: 729. Yizkor: Sefer yizkor Miechow, Charsznica, Ksiaz (Tel Aviv, 1971). Gmina Książ Wielki is a rural administrative district in Miechów County, Lesser Poland Voivodeship in southern Poland with its seat in the village of Książ Wielki, 13 km (8 mi) NE of Miechów and 45 km (28 mi) N of the regional capital Kraków. The 2006 total population is 5,565. Gmina Książ Wielki contains the villages and settlements of Antolka, Boczkowice, Cisia Wola, Cisie, Częstoszowice, Giebułtów, Głogowiany, Konaszówka, Krzeszówka, Książ Mały, Książ Mały-Kolonia, Książ Wielki, Łazy, Małoszów, Mianocice, Moczydło, Rzędowice, Stara Wieś, Tochołów, Trzonów, Wielka Wieś, Wrzosy and Zaryszyn. The kahal formed in in 1780 with about 400 Jews. No ghetto was established; deportations were to the Miechow ghetto and then Belzec in November 1942. [June 2009]
Members of a class from the JCC of Greater Washington hope to restore the cemetery and the town's abandoned synagogue. Source: Washington Jewish Week Marcia Key, editor 9/29/95. This may refer to another town named Ksiaz, but likely is this one..
CEMETERY: Located at ul. Szewska, its establishment date is uncertain, but the Adam Penkalla, the late researcher, book Jewish Traces in Kielce and Radom Voivodeship indicates that the cemetery probably existed in the mid-19th century. Archival lists of the local Jewish community include real estate, a wooden building with a dwelling for gravedigger and "mortuary" at that time. During WWII, Nazis executed Jews at the cemetery. Jerzy Żelaskiewicz in "On Earth Wielkoksiąskiej" describes two such events that occurred in 1942 after liquidating the local ghetto: "One Sunday in September, the policemen Adolf Hubner brought two young Jewish woman. Within sight of many people prince, the Nazis shot them in the Jewish cemetery. A few days later, the Germans caught 17 Jews, including 5 women. That night, the German police murdered the Jews and buried in mass grave." Liquidation of the cemetery began in autumn 1942 at the command of the occupiers. Gravestones were stolen for use in construction of pavements. Over ten years ago, restoration work at the cemetery included metal fence construction. Today, the cemetery is choked with high bushes in which youth sometimes hide to consume cheap drinks. Adam Penkallę made no mention of about remaining twenty-five matzevot. Some inscriptions include: "Daughter of Modest [....] [.. ..] [....] died in the month of Nisan 661 years. [....] Let her soul be bound by a crown of eternal life. "( 5561 - 1901) A memorial to the Holocaust victims was placed with the Hebrew inscription: "Mother, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Dina Alte Jakow; brother Neck Lejb son of Menachem Mendel (Bg pomści let the blood); the Alte Jakow son of Menachem Mendel (____ let his blood), son of Abraham Moshe Menachem Mendel (Bg pomści let the blood). matzevot This is in honor of all the blessed (____ let their blood) who are buried at this cemetery, murdered by the barbarians. Let their souls be bound in the crown of eternal life. Pomnik founded by Chaim Meir Lipman, to the blessed memory of those killed during the terrible years. Father Menachem Mendel son of Mr Abraham Lipman, died in the Eve of Yom Kippur 5702. (1942). The cemetery is accessible courtesy of a nearby property owner via the cemetery wall that is partly destroyed. Photos. Map. video. yizkor. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000289
Ksiaz Wielki is located in Kielce at 50°27 20°38, 64 km from Kielce. Cemetery location: Szewska St. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Town: Wojt. Gminy Ksiaz Wielki, 32-210, Ksiaz Wielki, tel. 2. Local: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. IX Wiekoss Kielc 3, Kielce, tel. 45634.
Earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1921 Jewish population was 852 (49.7%). The Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century; last known Orthodox or Conservative burial was 1942. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. (On the survey, someone wrote `no!' by these two answers.) The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 1 hectare. 20-100 gravestones in original locations with none broken or toppled date from 1893-20th century. The limestone and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and Yiddish inscriptions No mass graves. The municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII, but not in last ten years. No maintenance. There are no structures. Security, erosion, and vegetation are moderate threats. Vandalism and incompatible nearby development (animal grazing and sport field) are serious threats.
Dr Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey. The site was not visited and there were no interviews.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 16:07|