KRYNICA: Małopolskie Print

Alternate names: Krynica [Pol], Krenitz, קריניצה זדרוי [Yid], Krynica-Zdrój, Krinitza, Krynica Górska, Hebrew. 49°26' N, 20°58' E, 18 miles SE of Nowy Sącz, near the Slovak border. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, pp. 754-756: "Krynica". Jews lived in Krynica at the end of the 18th century, but a significant development of Jewish settlement occurred in the first half of 19th century. Called "the pearl of Polish spas", Krynica lies on the hills along the valley of the Kryniczanka stream at the eastern end of the Beskid Sadecki range. The spa's history dates back to the 18th century, when the first spa houses were built with historical wooden and brick architecture including pump-rooms, an indoor promenade with a winter garden, and a theatre complex. Many local Jews worked with patients arriving in the city. At the same time, two synagogues were built. Particularly rapid Jewish population growth occurred in 19th and early 20th century. In 1860 and 1880, 30 Jews lived there. In 1870, they were under the Nowy Sacz kahal; and in 1890, 362 Jews lived there. In 1921, 43% were Jewish, 1,023. As a result of the difficult economic situation, the number of Jews had diminished from peak presence. After occupation of the city by the Nazis in 1939, the Jewish population suffered serious repression including forced labor and restricted movement. In the fall of 1940, Krynica Jews were deported to ghettos in Grybów and Nowy Sacz. Most did not survive.[May 2009]

CEMETERY: The Jewish Cemetery in Krynica is located on the slope of the ulica Polna. (GPS: N49°24.842' E20°56.994'). The cemetery was established in the mid-19h century. During WWII, the Nazis carried out mass execution of Jewish inhabitants in the cemetery. In Soviet times, the cemetery fell into oblivion and gradual ruin. In the early 1980s, the authorities intended to close the cemetery and enlarge the sanatorium. However, these plans were not implemented. Part of a letter in 1986 from someone in Krynicy to the Jewish Historical Institute: "The Old Jewish Cemetery is completely abandoned and deteriorating in a way that is outrageous. No one shows any interest, ... Devastation is progressing at a rapid pace and soon may no longer leave any trace of this last resting place." Fortunately, in subsequent years, land the cemetery was cleaned through the efforts of students of local schools. Dr. Leszka Hońdo of Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego performed an inventory of the cemetery. The 30 x 50 meters cemetery holds dozens of gravestones, mostly traditional matzevot. Tadeusz M. Trajdos in his article entitled "Cemeteries in the Spa" (Meetings with Monuments, No. 3, 1983) describes Krynicki tombstones: "I managed to see the monumental grave stele with a relief from the Torah Crown, submitted by the lions of palmety relief on the axle, so the tomb scholar scribes - rabbi. There are also smaller tombs with rabbinical insignia. ... still numerous group of gravestones with the Star of David in the ring. There are also graves of women; it is light relief from the gravestones". The cemetery is surrounded by low stone wall. The door keys are kept in the Office of the City and Municipality Spa Krynica-Zdrój, ul. Kraszewskiego 7 pokój 27 (tel. 018 471-53-20 do 24, email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . The Jewish Community in Krakow administers the cemetery. Photos. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000744

Krynica is located in Nowy Sacz at 49°26' 20°58', 40 km from Nowy Sacz. Cemetery location: ul. Kolejowa. Present town population is 5,000-25,000; under 10 Jews.

  • Town: Burmistrz Urzad Gminy Uzdrowiskowej, ul. Kraszewskiego 7, 33-380 Krynica, tel. 20-42.
  • Interested: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow-mgr. inz. Zyamunt Lewczick, ul. Kilinskiego 68, 33-300 Nowy Sacz, tel. 238-38 234.
Earliest known Jewish community was established in second half of 18th century. 1931 Jewish population was 1,153. The Progressive/Reform and Orthodox Jews cemetery was established mid-19th century. The isolated urban hillside has a sign or plaque in local language. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A wall and locking gate surround. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.16 hectares. 20-100 gravestones in cemetery, 1-20 not in original locations with 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th century. The marble, granite, and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew and Polish inscriptions. Local Jewish Community and municipality own site used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. Private visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized prior to WWII, but not in the last ten years. Local authorities cleared vegetation and fixed the wall in 1987. Authorities clean or clear occasionally. There are no structures. Security, erosion, and vegetation are moderate threats.
Piotr Antoniak, ul Dobra 5 m 36, 05-800 Pruszkow completed survey 10 Sept 1992 and visited site 17 Aug 1992.
REFERENCE: They Lived Among Us: Polish Judaica, a travel brochure: Arline Sachs, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 76
Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 02:43