Alternate names: Kryłów [Pol], Krilev, קרילוב [Yid], Kryluv [Rus], Krilov. Russian: Крылув. 50°41' N, 24°04' E, 76 miles ESE of Lublin, 10 miles SE of Hrubieszów, on the border with Ukraine. 1900 Jewish population: 1,512. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, p. 747: "Kryłów". Map. This village in the administrative district of Gmina Mircze within Hrubieszów County, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland is close to the border with Ukraine 12 km (7 mi) Eof Mircze, 20 km (12 mi) SE of Hrubieszów, and 122 km (76 mi) SE of the regional capital Lublin and has a population of 365. In 1676, 42 Jews lived there but restrictions on settlement occurred in 1823-186; in 185,6 537 Jews lived there. [June 2009]
Krylow is located in Zamosc woj at 50°41' 24°04', 30 km SE from Zamosc. Cemetery location: at the N end of Nadbuzna St. (parallel to main road alongside the ridge of Bug river valley), between Buzek river and a small creek with no name on penisula between "Stary Bug" river or "Buzek", an old stream of a river and a small creek with no name. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Last known Orthodox Jewish burial was before 1941. Other town that used the cemetery was Mircze, 15 km away. The isolated rural (agricultural) crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.5 hectares. 1-20 gravestones, none in original locations with less than 25% are broken or toppled, date from 19th-20th century. Stones removed from cemetery are incorporated into the foundation of new structure of local grammar school. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. Municipality owns site used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Private visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. In 1994, two tombstones were found and reerected by a volunteer caretaker. There are no structures. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Erosion is a moderate threat.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 April 2015 20:11|