Map. Alternate names: Krasnystaw [Pol], Krasnistov, קראסניסטאוו [Yid], Krasnystav [Rus], Krasnistav, Krasnostav. Russian: Красныстав. 50°59' N, 23°11' E, 32 miles SE of Lublin, 19 miles N of Zamość, 17 miles SW of Chełm. 1900 Jewish population: 1,763. Yizkors: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999) and Yisker tsum ondenk fun kdoshey Krasnystaw (Munich, 1948). This town in E Poland in the Lublin Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Chelm Voivodeship (1975-1998) is the capital of Krasnystaw powiat with 19,615 inhabitants in 2004. The city is famous for its beer festival called Chmielaki (chmiel means hops). Krasnystaw is also famous for its dairy products such as yogusie. Krasnystaw is near the Poland-Ukraine border.Jewish history. The earliest mention of Jews comes from 1548. The city was a royal property in 1554; and the Jews received the "non tolerandis Judaeis", corroborated by subsequent rulers, when a small number of Jews lived in the outskirts. The privilege held to the beginning of the 19th century when a fire destroyed a large part of the city. Since 1833, Jews were allowed to settle and build or buy homes. In the late 19th century, the Jewish population was 1,763 Jews (24.4%). On the eve of WWII, Jews were 20% of the 11,000 inhabitants. The Jews of Krasnegostaw were slaughtered in Belzec. Few traces of the Jewish community remain. The old synagogue building, probably built the late 19th century or early 20th century, became a tailor's establishment with the interior changed. On the road from Krasnystaw to Chełm (Rajowiecka Street), by the forest called Borek. with high-tension power pole visible above the cemetery and a few kilometers from the market are the remains of the Jewish cemetery founded in 1890. The last known burial took place in 1943. As a result of damage during WWII, today only ten individual tombstones remain. The unfenced cemetery area is overgrown with grass and shrubs and has no sign. photos. cemetery information. [May 2009].
US Commission No. AS 144
The town is located at 50°53' N 23°11' E in Chelm province, 53 km SE of Lublin and 28 km SW of Chelm. Cemetery: 1500 meters NE of the market square on Rejowiecha Street. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community dates from the second half of the 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery also was established around this time. 1921 Jewish population was 1,754 (20%). The last known Orthodox Jewish burial was in 1943. The isolated suburban flat land has no wall, fence or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign or marker, access is open to all. The area of the cemetery is approximately 1.5 square hectares, its approximate size prior to WWII. 1-20 gravestones in original locations and less than 25% toppled or broken date from 1889-20th century. The limestone and sandstone rough stones, finely smoothed and inscribed or sculpted monuments have Hebrew inscriptions. There are unmarked mass graves. The municipality now owns the property turned to scrub [sic]. Adjacent property is residential, agricultural and forest. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No care. Overgrowth of vegetation is a constant problem preventing access. Vegetation, security, weather erosion and vandalism are moderate threats.
Pawel Sygowski, Lalinowszczyzna 64/59, 20-201 Lublin, Tel. 72-20-78 completed survey August 1995 after a visit in July 1995. Interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2009 02:12|