Alternate names: Krasnopol [Pol, Yid], Krasnapolis [Lith], Russian: Краснополь. 54°07' N, 23°12' E, 11 miles E of Suwałki, 6 miles W of Sejny. 1900 Jewish population: 576. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, pp. 636-637: "Krasnopol". Gmina Krasnopol is a rural administrative district in Sejny powiat, Podlaskie Voivodeship in NE Poland with its seat in the village of Krasnopol, 111 km (69 mi) N of the regional capital Białystok. The gmina 2006 population was 3,902. Gmina Krasnopol contains the villages and settlements of Aleksandrowo, Buda Ruska, Czarna Buchta, Czerwony Krzyż, Głuszyn, Gremzdel, Gremzdy Polskie, Jegliniec, Jeglówek, Jeziorki, Krasne, Krasnopol, Królówek, Krucieniszki, Linówek, Łopuchowo, Maćkowa Ruda, Michnowce, Mikołajewo, Murowany Most, Nowa Żubrówka, Nowe Boksze, Orlinek, Pawłówka, Piotrowa Dąbrowa, Rudawka, Ryżówka, Skustele, Smolany Dąb, Stabieńszczyzna, Stara Żubrówka, Teklinowo, Wysoka Góra, Żłobin and Żubronajcie. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: The cemetery was completely destroyed [by the Nazis] leaving only a metal plaque on a tree with the inscription "Cmentarz mojżeszowy" [Mosaic Cemetery]. No gravestones remain, only boulders without inscriptions. The cemetery is accessible from ul. Mickiewicza, running along the village. Directions: At the first intersection, turn right and 0.5 km, passing the farm on both sides until reaching woods, located on the right side of the road on a prominent hill. The synagogue building still stands. Photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No AS 143
The town is located at 54°07 N 23°12 E in Suwalskie province, 6 km from Suwalskie. Cemetery: on a hill approximately .8 km NE of the village center. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community dates from the late 18th century when there were 40 Jewish families living in the village. 1927 Jewish population was 110. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established during the late 18th century. The isolated rural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. It is approximately .6 square hectares, its approximate size prior to WWII. 1-20 gravestones, all original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 20th century. Stones are made of ["beton"]. There are no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. A regional or national government agency owns site used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Local residents visit rarely. No maintenance. Overgrowth of vegetation is a seasonal problem preventing access; pollution is a moderate threat.
Dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki, ul. 1 Maja 27a/47, tel. (home) 663756, (office) 663741 completed survey on October 11, 1994. same as above?
|Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 00:52|