You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KRASNOBROD: Lubelskie
KRASNOBROD: Lubelskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Krasnobród

Alternate names: Krasnobród [Pol], Krasnabrod, קראסנאבראד [Yid]. Russian: Краснобруд. 50°33' N, 23°12' E, 12 miles S of Zamość, 12 miles NW of Tomaszów Lubelski. 1900 Jewish population: 1,378. Yizkors: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999) and Krasnobrod; sefer zikaron (Tel Aviv, 1956). Map. The first documentation of Jews in Krasnobrod was 1577. In 1921, 1,148 Jews lived there. The Jewish cemetery was founded in the early 19th century. During WW II, the Nazis destroyed the cemetery and stole the gravestones for paving roads and construction. Only two matzevot remain, brought here in 1994 by an unknown person and a concrete sarcophagus. Originally, the cemetery was about 0.8 hectares.  Unfenced, the area is covered by forest. Located south of Krasnobrod off the road from the town toward Wólki Husiński at the top of high hills. (N 50 ° 32 '13.6''E 023 ° 12' 20.4''). photos. Wieprz River flows through this small town near Roztocze National Park and Krasnobród Landscape Park. The first Jews, who settled in the second half of the 16th century, engaged in trade and crafts; in the 19th and 20th centuries, they also leased forests and orchards. One of the gravestones dates from 1577, meaning the cemetery must have preexisted it. Jews were banished from 1822 to 1862.  The Bet Midrash burned down in 1915 during WWI, but was rebuilt. The community also included nearby the village of Chitkow. [May 2009]

CEMETERY: Located on the edge of the forest near Krasnobrod-Wolka Husinska road, the unfenced cemetery was established in the 19th century. During WWII it was destroyed. Only one matzeva remains with about 20 sarcophaguses. photos. [June 2009]

US Commission No. AS 142   
The town is located at 50°33 N 23°14 E, 20 km. S of Zamosc. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy
  • Local: Urzad Wojewodzki, Zamosc, ul. Partyzantow 3. Tel. 31-34.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow, Wojewodski Konserwator Zabytkow Zamosc, ul. Staszica 29. Tel. 59-71. The Regionainy Osrodek Studiow i Ochrony Krajobrazu Kulturowego, Lublin, ul. Archidiakonska, tel. 73-62-24
  • Interested: Urzad Wojewodski-Wydzial Geodezji, Kartografii I Gospodarki Gruntami, Zamosc, 4 Przemystowa Street, tel. 25-57. Wojewodzkie Archiwum Panswowe Lublin, 4 Przemstowa Street.

The earliest known Jewish community dates from 1577. Jews were present from its inception when landlord Jan Lipski granted privileges to Jewish residents. 1921 Jewish population was 1,148. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established during the first quarter of the 19th century with last known Jewish burial before 1941. The community of Mircze used the unlandmarked cemetery. The cemetery was approximately 15 km distant from the congregations that used it. The rural isolated crown of a hill is reached by crossing private property with no sign, wall, fence or gate. Access is open to all. The area of the cemetery is approximately .5 square hectares, its approximate size prior to WWII. 1-20 gravestones in the cemetery, none in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 19th-20th centuries. Removed stones were incorporated into roads or structures, such as the local grammar school. The sandstone tombstones, finely smoothed and inscribed or flat stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. The municipality now owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Private visitors visit rarely. No maintenance. In 1994, two gravestones were discovered by an unnamed, volunteer caretaker and reerected. Efforts to restore the cemetery after WWII were carried out by Jewish groups abroad. Overgrowth of vegetation is a seasonal problem preventing access.

Malgorzata Radolowicz-Buzikiewicz, Florianska 37/3, 31-019 Krakow, Tel. (0-12) 2157-48 completed the survey on September 28, 1995 after a visit to the site. Documentation: PSOZ [Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow] [State Preservation Authority, Conservation Officer for Woiwoship] Zamosc,-"Karta Cmentarza" [cemetery record chart], #1958 by K. Slowikthat 1990. Interviews were conducted with officers at the preservation authority and residents in nearby housing.

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 00:41
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution