Jewish presence here dates from 1377. 1531 historical sources indicate that Krasnik Jews, Moses and Solomon, traded with Gdansk. In 1584, Prince Aleksander Słucki gave Jews the right of residence in Krasnik. In 1593, a synagogue and hospital existed. The Jewish Community in Krasnik had several cemeteries. The oldest was in the 16th century at ul. Podwalnej and operated to the 17th century. Today, no trace of it remains after this land was built up. Another cemetery was established in the second half of 17th century on ul. Strażackiej. Less than two hundred years later in conjunction with a command issued by the city to move out of the burial places the "nowy cmentarz żydowski" (new Jewish cemetery) on ulica Gory. During WWII, the Nazis destroyed the Krasnik Jewish cemeteries. As in other cities, gravestones were used for paving the streets and construction work. Still today, many matzevot are at various points of the city. At the cemetery on Cmentarz przy ulica are dozens of matzevot. A few hundred people were murdered there during the Holocaust. After the war, the remains of those Jews were moved here from the mass graves in the vicinity of Krasnik and a monument dedicated to the memory of these victims of the Holocaust was set. Unfortunately, the cemetery is depressing. Well maintained until the 1970s when the caretaker stopped caring, by the 1990s, the cemetery was completely forgotten. Part of the matzevot recovered from Krasnik Jewish cemeteries is stored in the "small synagogue" on Bożniczej Street. There are three graves in the cemetery. In April 1990 at the initiative of Families Nissenbaum Foundation two plaques commemorating the martyrdom of the Jewish students were built in school's in the wall. Care of monuments of Jewish culture in Krasnik is by local NGO Regional Enthusiasts Association of Krasnik. Photos. history. Extended history. [May 2009]
("the old Jewish cemetery") US Commission No. POCE000633
The cemetery is located approximately 200 meters SW of the market square. For town and history information see Krasnik Gory. The unlandmarked Hasidic Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established during the second half of the 17th century with last known Jewish burial in the first quarter of the 19th century. The isolated urban hillside is reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign, wall, fence or gate. Access is open to all. The cemetery is approximately .64 square hectares. No gravestones are visible. There are no known mass graves or structures. The property is recreational. Adjacent property is residential and commercial, industrial. The cemetery is visited [wcale-Polish word]. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance or care. The most significant threat is from planned or proposed incompatible development considered a moderate threat. For survey information, see Krasnik-Gory.
KRASNIK II: US Commission No. POCE000634
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 76
|Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 00:22|