You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KRASNIK GORY: Dolnośląski
KRASNIK GORY: Dolnośląski PDF Print E-mail

Map. 51°18' N 15°37' E,  239.1 miles WSW of Warszawa. Kraśnik Górny is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Bolesławiec within Bolesławiec powiat, Lower Silesian Voivodeship in SW Poland and prior to 1945 in Germany 6 km (4 mi) NE of Bolesławiec and 101 km (63 mi) W of the regional capital Wrocław. The village has a population of 450. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000632

The town is located at 50°55 N 22°14 E, 45 km. from Lublin. Cemetery: approximately 1 km SW of the town center at the end of Szewska Street-("the new Jewish cemetery") Present population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Muzeum Regionalne, ul. Klasztorna 3. Tel. 34-85.
  • Local: Urzad Gminy, ul. Kosciuszki 5. Tel. 23-38.
  • Regional: Halina Landecka, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow Lublin; ul. Archidiakonska 4. Tel. 259-37.

The earliest known Jewish community dates from the end of the 16th century. 1921 Jewish population was 4,200 (50.6%). The unlandmarked Hasidic Jewish cemetery was established during the first quarter of the 19th century with last known Jewish burial in 1943. The cemetery was approximately 15 km from the congregations that used it. Zakrzowek also used it. The rural-agricultural isolated flat land is reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign or marker. A broken masonry wall with no gate surrounds. Access is open to all. The area of the cemetery before WWII and now is approximately 1.82 hectares. 1-20 sandstone and other material gravestones, some in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, have Hebrew inscriptions. Removed stones were incorporated into the stairs on Szewska Street. Gravestones date from the end of 19th and 20th centuries. Some have carved relief decorations. There are marked mass graves and a memorial to Holocaust victims. A regional or governmental agency owns property used a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Cccasionally, private visitors stop. No maintenance. Efforts to restore the cemetery after WWII were carried out by Jewish groups abroad. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Overgrowth of vegetation and vandalism are the most significant threats, with security, weather erotion and incompatible nearbly existing development moderate threats.

Pawet Sypowski ???, ul. Kalinowszuzyzna 64/59, 20-201 Lublin. Tel. 77-20-78 completed survey in December 1993. Documentation: "Karta Cmentarza" [cemetery record chart]. The site was visited in 1992 at which time interviews were conducted. Informant wanted to remain anonymous.

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 00:23
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution