You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KRASICZYN: Podkarpackie
KRASICZYN: Podkarpackie PDF Print E-mail

49°46' N, 22°40' E, 5 miles WSW of Przemyśl. JOWBR burial list: Jewish Cemetery. Map. Andrzej Potocki's book The Jews in Subcarpathia describes history of the town. In 1785, 70 Jews lived there, subordinate to the Przemysl kahał. Jewish population: 1835-36 and before the outbreak of World War I-120; and 1921-32 (50.6%), down due to immigration or moving to larger cities in Poland. This village in Przemyśl County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in SE Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Krasiczyn. The village with a population of 440 is 56 km (35 mi) SE of the regional capital Rzeszów. Krasicki Palace, a Renaissance palace built for Stanisław Krasicki by Galleazzo Appiani, was the birthplace of Adam Stefan Cardinal Sapieha, whom Pope John Paul II described as 'my model'. Other villages and settlements of the gmina are Brylińce, Chołowice, Cisowa, Dybawka, Korytniki, Krasice, Krasiczyn, Kruhel Wielki, Krzeczkowa, Mielnów, Olszany, Prałkowce, Rokszyce, Śliwnica, Tarnawce and Zalesi. Jews began to settle in Krasnik during the 16th century. In 1593, a wooden synagogue was constructed. [May 2009]

NEW CEMETERY: On ulica Gory, the cemetery was established in the first half of 19th century. During WWII, the Germans devastated the cemetery. Matzevot were used for road construction. Several dozen broken gravestones remain in the 1.82 ha cemetery surrounded by a stone wall. MASS GRAVE: In the place of mass executions is an obelisk with Hebrew inscriptions. The Jewish Cemetery is located at the top of the slope above the town. Directions: Turn in the road at the castle. During WW II, Germany destroyed the cemetery. Several complete matzevot and some damaged are visible. In recent years, local parish priests, Stanislaw Bartmińskiego and Luke Kozdrója, saw to it that the area was cleaned and surrounded with a wooden fence. An obelisk dedicated to the memory of the Jews was erected reading: "In Memory of older brothers in faith." In 2001, during the Festival of Jewish Culture in Krakow, Fr. Stanisław Bartmiński was honored by the Israeli ambassador in Poland with a Shevach Weiss award "For merit in protecting the heritage of Jewish culture in Poland." Photos. Photos. [May 2009]

OLD CEMETERY: On ulica Strazacka, the cemetery was established in second half of 17th century and closed down in 19th century. The old cemetery was destroyed during World War II. Not even fragments of matzevot remain in the park on the location. [June 2009]

OLD CEMETERY: The 0.7 ha. Jewish cemetery on ulica Podwalna funcitoned in the 16th-18th century. During WWII, Germans completely devastated the 0.16 ha cemetery. No fragments of matzevot remain. Today the area is built over. [June 2009]


US Commission No. POCE000154

Located in Przemysl region at 49°47 22°40, 10 km from Przemsyl. Cemetery location is NE of the town. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, Tel. 1820.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, Mgr. Pewet Kuziot, 37-700 Przemysl, ul. Rynek 24, Tel. 5944.

1921 Jewish population was 32. Between fields and woods, the isolated unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery at the crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. Approximate size of cemetery is.16 ha. 1-20 gravestones, some in original locations with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1897-20th century. Some tombstones were incorporated into the road to Przemysl, about 1 km from Krasiczyn. The sandstone, flat and finely smoothed stones have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are wooded. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized in WW II. There is no maintenance. There are no structures. Threats: Security, weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska St. 21 m. 1, 02-567 Warszawa, Tel. 49-54-62 visited site and completed survey on 11/27/1991. Anna Kune, Robert Kuskow and Marcin Wodzinski also visited site.

[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [March 2016]


Last Updated on Monday, 28 March 2016 21:40
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution