Alternate names: Krapkowice [Pol], Krappitz [Ger], Chrapkowice. 50°29' N, 17°58' E, in Upper Silesia, 13 miles S of Opole (Oppeln). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, p. 611: "Krapkowice". Map. Photos. This town in SW Poland with 17,840 inhabitants in 2007 is the capital of Krapkowice powiat (county) that also contains the towns of Zdzieszowice, 13 km (8 mi) SE of Krapkowice, and Gogolin, 5 km (3 mi) NE of Krapkowice. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000521
Located in region Opolskie at 50°28 17°58, 22 km from Opole. Cemetery location: ul. Kolejowa. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The landmarked cemetery was established before 1824 with last known Progressive/Reform Jewish burial on 4/23/1925. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall with a locked gate surrounds the.2 ha. site. 20-100 gravestones, 1-20 not in original locations with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. The limestone and sandstone flat and finely smoothed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was not vandalized in the past ten years. Maintenance includes clearing vegetation and repairing the wall. There is a pre-burial house. Only slight threats.
Harcin Nodzinski, ul. Jednosci Naradone 187/13, 50-303 Wrockaw Starzynskiego visted site and completed survey in 05/1992.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 June 2009 19:59|