You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KORONOWO: Kujawsko-Pomorskie
KORONOWO: Kujawsko-Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Koronowo Alternate names: Koronowo [Pol], Krone an der Brahe [Ger], Krone, Crone, Polnisch Krone. 53°19' N, 17°57' E, 12 miles N of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). Jewish population: 620 (in 1871), 40 (in 1933). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, pp. 411-413: "Koronowo" #1. This town on the Brda River with 10,818 inhabitants in 2004.is one of the largest towns in Bydgoszcz County. The Koronowo municipality has 23,052 inhabitants. The city began as an abbey founded by German Cistercians, relocated from Byszewo in 1288. A significant battle took place nearby in 1410 between the Kingdom of Poland and the Teutonic Knights. Jewish settlement in Koronowo probably dates from the end of the 18th century with the rise of the local Jewish community in the next century when a synagogue was built and Jewish religious commune organized, the number of Jews reaching its highest level. In 1804, only 14 Jews lived there while in 1861 their number mounted to 479. At the turn of the 20th century, Jewish population numbers declined, many of them immigrating. In1921, just six Jews remained. The Jewish Community dissolved officially in 1932 when the last three Jews were subordinated to Bydgoszcz kahał. On December 18, 1939, the Nazis deported one Jew. [May 2009]

CEMETERY: The small cemetery founded in 1817 on a small hill above the Pradolina Brdy, the present ul. Kolejowej, was established around a square. On the approximately 0.36 hectares, about 30 gravestones remain within the old brick wall with a gate from 1935. Most matzevot date from the 19th and early 20th century have Hebrew and German inscriptions and traditional Jewish like Cohanim hands or Levite hands with a pitcher, reliefs documenting the assimilation such as foreign symbols of divine providence. The cemetery is filled with lilacs shrubs and lime trees. In the 1950s, authorities intended to close the cemetery on the ground and have a communal cemetery. Ultimately, these plans have not been realized. Recently, students from Primary School 2 take care of the cemetery. In addition, the police conducted an inventory of surviving tombstoneswith photographic documentation and translation of the names of the dead under the auspices of the Center for Citizenship Education, National Heritage Institute, the National Center for Culture, Jewish, and the city. On February 26, 2007, Mayor Stanislaw Gliszczyński officially entrusted to the care of the cemetery to the children. More information.  The cemetery was entered in the register of historic buildings under the A/241/90. The area was fenced, but currently part of the wall is destroyed. About 30 bilingual matzevot remain. On one side are Yiddish or Hebrew inscriptions and on the other hand, German. photos. Photos. photo. [May 2009]

"The Koronowo former Jewish cemetery on the Kotomierska Street is one of the best preserved kirkut in the Bydgoszcz Province, NW Poland. Founded: first half of 19th Century. Closed: 1933; Red brick wall, partially demolished. A dozen well preserved headstones. A few names are given. Most of the tombstones have German Gothic text and Hebrew. There are many rhyming words expressing pain caused by losing a beloved person. Headstones adorned by floral images. Often one sees symbols of death--broken candles, trees, columns. There are no human images, no headstones for married couples. The local people seem not to realize what precious relic they have in their town; and with the years, the ground became iovergrown with lilac bushes. Last year a group from the Polish Union of Jewish students tidied up the place, but after they left the kirkut once again is left in silence and oblivion." From: Gazeta Pomorska; Friday 22 November 1996. Text: Katarynzyna Szyska. Photo: Marek Chelminiak. Saul Issroff has the original article in Polish and was given three color photos of tombstones. Source: Saul Issroff; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [date?]

US Commission No. POCE000599

Alternate name: Crone an der Brahe in German. Koronowo is located in Bydgoszcz at 53°19 17°56, 25km from Bydgoszcz. Cemetery: at ul. Kotomierska. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Local administration of a commune and town council in Koronowo.
  • Regional: mgr. Olga Romanowska-Grabowska, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow.

The earliest known Jewish community existed in 16th century. In 1890, there were 630 Jews but none by 1939. The cemetery was established during the first half of the 19th century. The landmarked cemetery is listed as a whole is in the register of monuments (A/241). The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall with non-locking gate surrounds. Both before World War II and now, the cemetery occupies 0.36 hectares. 100-500 gravestones, some not in original location with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 1830. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem that disturbs graves. The cemetery is divided into special sections. There is a special section for women. The marble, granite, and other materials flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew, Yiddish and German inscriptions. There are no known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery use only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Security, weather erosion, and vegetation are all moderate threats.

Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel. 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992. The Card of cemetery 1992 WKZ Bydgoszcz was used to as documentation. M. Grabowska visited the site in 10/1992.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 09 June 2009 23:47
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution